Outlook Express slow with Norton Internet Security

Reaction score
Country
Cook Islands
I recently assembled a new PC. The m/b utilities disk included Norton Internet security 3-months subs/

I have noticed that OE is very slow (5 to 10 seconds between clicking and the new log or messsage being displayed) switching between mail logs or opening messages. I uninstalled, wiped and reinstalled OE and noticed it went quite fast until I imported back all the mail logs.

I have quite a lot of old mail.

It seems to me the slowness is a combination of Internet Security and big old logs.

With my "My Documents" I archive old docs away into a separate directory each year, so I can open them or recover from archive disks if necessary, without clogging the current directory. I don't see a way of archiving mail logs on OE though I've done it on various work systems.

Any suggestions?

Sponsored Links
try this

tools>options>maintenance>store folder

you can call this years store folder 2006, next 2007 etc

Thanks, I'll try that. Is there a way or segregating my existing mail so I can put it in the appropiate sub?

It appears to have moved everything into my "2006" folder now.

p.s. I have got "Outlook" as I have MS Office 1997 (!) installation disk and am used to it at work but am worried that if I install it it will be out of date.

Sponsored Links
i would suggest you make a 2005 folder and move stuff from the 2006 folder into that.

i have a folder within oe that is for last years stuff, so that i dont have to change my store folder at all.

also its on a differt hd, not just differnt partition. so when i format c, i reinstall everything, and change store folder to my other hd.

perhaps this will be a better option?

as for O, sorry i dont use it, although i do have it on this pc, (mrs Breezer uses O)

Find where the *.DBX files are stored.
You could see the likes of
Msquared.dbx
Novatech.dbx ... ;)
These files each have a name corresponding to a folder name in OE below 'Local Folders'
If you close OE, rename an * DBX file, then open OE a brand new empty .DBX file for that folder name will be created... The original, renamed, remains where you created it...

I think the upshot is, if an OE folder name exists without a *.dbx file, then a new .dbx file using the existing OE folder name is created.

If you should move some of the *.dbx files elsewhere, then open OE I reckon you will have all pristine empty folders which match the moved dbx file names...
Try it create the odd folder within OE, copy some mails to it then have a play .. that's how I found out ... I am currently 98se but a google or three should point to any XP differences, now the file types are known !
Let us know what transpires..
;)

Back