Norton Internet Security Bargain?

To be honest, AVG or Avira or Avast work just as well and are free. The "big players" like Norton and Mcafee do exactly what trazor said and use scare tactics to get you to buy their products. YOU ARE NO SAFER WITH PAID FOR VIRUS DETECTION SOFTWARE.

In fact, you may be considerably less safe.

Sponsored Links
I'm always pleased to see people show the evidence to support their position, rather than relying on just repeating their assertions.

I'm always pleased to see people show the evidence to support their position, rather than relying on just repeating their assertions.

What would you like to see, the (easy to find) tests of free and paid anti-virus software, or a few of the many instances of security companies creating malware to promote their product?

If the former, please see Google. If the latter, please see Google.

Ok, maybe not with the sites you go on monkeh, but the casual user is pretty much as safe with free AV protection as with paid. Its just a matter of common sence e.g AVG puts big green ticks next to safe sites and big red crosses on the bad ones etc.

Sponsored Links
Ok, maybe not with the sites you go on monkeh, but the casual user is pretty much as safe with free AV protection as with paid. Its just a matter of common sence e.g AVG puts big green ticks next to safe sites and big red crosses on the bad ones etc.

That's not what I meant. I do not use AV on my sole Windows box. I have absolutely no need for it.

I'm not going to show you the evidence on which I base my assertion

What, do you think I have a giant file of every article I've ever read?

You want the knowledge, do the same search I'd have to do to dig it up. I really don't have time to back every statement I make with an army of links and book citations. This is not a Wikipedia article.

I did my research and it says Bullguard is the best one, and Microsoft Security Essentials is nearly as good, but free.

It says that AVG, Avira and Avast are not as good.

I did my research and it says Bullguard is the best one, and Microsoft Security Essentials is nearly as good, but free.

Fair enough, go with it. Although my opinion of Microsoft Security Essentials is not fit for polite company.

You'll note I never named names, nor did I recommend one product over another. Frankly, they're all as good as the next, and they're all as bad as the next. Whichever has ****ed me off the least in recent memory is what I tell people to use, and I never have and never will actually trust any of them.

I was suprised at how good windows security essentials was but bullguard... we got sent some free copies by a rep and it really is crap.

You'll note I never named names, nor did I recommend one product over another.

then, with the greatest of respect, why are you posting on this thread if you have no opinion?

then, with the greatest of respect, why are you posting on this thread if you have no opinion?

I never said I don't have an opinion. I said I didn't, in any of these posts, recommend any one product, seeing as the thread isn't about that. I just gave my view on a few small points (like Norton spying on you.. probably!).

I'll always steer people away from Norton because it costs money for no real benefit, and has caused me much hassle in the past. I currently steer people away from AVG because it's become an untenable resource hog. And I'll never recommend Security Essentials because Microsoft have such a ridiculously poor security record that I simply cannot recommend relying on one of their products to secure their own product! But at the end of the day they all do the same job, and none of them are perfect. I grow tired of fighting stubborn people over software choice.

Sponsored Links
Back