ebay

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have norton internet security 2004 on my pc and for the last 10 days it has been reminding me to renew. I decided to follow the link to see how much it cost. To renew the subscription for another year was £21. To upgrade to the 2005 version is £29.

I had a look on ebay (which is where I bought norton in the first place), and upgraded to the 2005 version, brand new software but without a box, for £13 inc. postage.

A few weeks ago we were upgrading the accounts software at work. I was about to spend about £170 on a newer version of Sage when I had a look on ebay and got the same programme, again brand new but without a box, for about £15.

How can all this software be so much cheaper on ebay when it's new and sealed?

Sponsored Links
petewood said:
I have norton internet security 2004 on my pc and for the last 10 days it has been reminding me to renew. I decided to follow the link to see how much it cost. To renew the subscription for another year was £21. To upgrade to the 2005 version is £29.

I had a look on ebay (which is where I bought norton in the first place), and upgraded to the 2005 version, brand new software but without a box, for £13 inc. postage.

A few weeks ago we were upgrading the accounts software at work. I was about to spend about £170 on a newer version of Sage when I had a look on ebay and got the same programme, again brand new but without a box, for about £15.

How can all this software be so much cheaper on ebay when it's new and sealed?

The old saying springs to mind, "If it's too good to be true, it probably is!"
You have to consider for what reason is it not boxed?
Always exercise caution when buying from ebay, especially software as it may be counterfeit.

Update;

Although the Sage software was fine and saved me a fortune, the activation code for the Norton Internet Security would not be accepted by Symantec :cry:
I emailed the vendor and he is going to send me a full refund.

Sponsored Links
We bought Norton Internet Security 2005, new without a box. It cost around £14 incl P&P on Ebay.

It is the full version, and updates online with no problems whatsoever. We even contacted Symantec directly and they said the disk security number was valid.

The reason you are paying less is because your not paying for all the cardboard packaging and manuals.

Not everything on Ebay is a con.

Salem

I think the old adage "let the buyer beware" applies to ebay. There are some great bargains to be had from genuine sellers, but there are also a lot of knock-offs and rip-offs.

A mate of mine told me about a good site for all ebayers who want to nip in and bid on an auction before it finishes. The site is called HammerSnipe (http://hammertap.auctionstealer.com/home.cfm) and allows you to register for free.

You then put an auction number into it and it will bid on the auction (up to your set price) between 10 and 20 seconds prior to the finish of the auction. This allows you to nip in with the winning bid. You can also pay and get it to bid up to 3 seconds before the auction!

I've never used the pay service but have used the free service and its a great way of bidding on an auction if you are not available to actually sit on your pooter and watch it right till the end.

By the way, I'm NOT affiliated in any way with the site, so this isn't an advert, I just thought I'd pass the info on as I found it handy.

Cheers

JT :D

Sure are frauds there. Got stung trying to purchase a mobile phone from someone with a 100% record on ebay. Still awaiting the police to tell me they've hauled his rear end into gaol. Lost confidence that they will :( (probably too busy with their revenue cameras).

But also bought from decent folk too. but it takes a lot of bargains to cover a dramatic loss.

There are a few sites that'll snipe for you, and software you can purchase too. Can be useful, but at the end of the day, if someone else is willing to pay the same as you, and they're not hanging around before placing a bid, they'll win out. Snipes are good for buyers trying to avoid an emotional bidding 'war'. Less wonderful for sellers who'd rather like one for their goods.

I use Catia at work which for the full package costs nearly £100,000 to buy (plus ridiculuss recurring license fee's every year), the minimum package costs wll over £3000. I've seen this advertised on Ebay less than £30!

How do they get away with it?

With Regards to antivirus, there are loads of free virus software solutions out there that get better ratings than Norton. Try www.grisoft.com (they make corperate virus solutions but give away the software for home use). There are loads of other too.

Sponsored Links
Back