Outside cable junction/joint – any idea what this is called?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to replace an outside junction/joint, see attached pic. It connects what looks like 15mm (?) armoured black cable running under our drive to split to feed an electric gate, then continue to feed the garage. The clear PVC window came off some time ago and it's now causing the board it's on to keep tripping – I'm assuming water is getting into it, although it looks like the connection is wrapped in insulation tape then painted over with a kind of pvc sealant – I'm actually getting a reading of 40v on the pvc coating, and if I wet it (as this is when it usually trips) I'm getting 160v in the pool of water!

I think it's time to change it but if I search for outdoor junction/joint all I get is standard box style ones. Any ideas what this one's actually called?

Many thanks

Attachments

• IMG_4215.JPG
    IMG_4215.JPG
    152.2 KB · Views: 359
Sponsored Links
I literally just found it before you posted that! Thanks a mill anyway. Could I ask, is there any reason they guy who fitted the gate (who installed this joint) used this one with the resin rather than a standard outdoor junction box which is far cheaper?

The resin joints (when done properly) can cope with continuous immersion- not many cheap junction boxes will do that. Plus any inaccessible joints must use maintenance-free joints (so the terminal block in there is rather naughty and not permitted)

Sponsored Links
I was done properly initially, I think when the glass cover came off the weather got to the resin and that's causing the power to leak out (?). I actually tried soaking it with water yesterday (just to make the board trip to make sure it was the cause of the board keep tripping). It didn't actually trip (ironical) but the readings on the voltmeter concluded it must be the problem. so I packed the recess full of sealant. When I turned the power back on, the board tripped immediately and won't go back on unless I switch that MCB off. I assumed either the water I soaked it with eventually got to the connections, or, the wet sealant I packed it with was acting as a water jacket over where the power is reading 160v and trips it instantly. Would that be a correct assumption? It still won't reset today, but the sealant was still wet too.. It;s going to be very hard top replace the joint because it's partly under the drive and if I dig more away it'll show (where it is is just inside a service hatch).

It was done about as far from properly as you're ever likely to see. For a start there's no where near enough resin in there. The shell should be completely full, which prevents water from getting in at all even if the cover is missing.

Get a proper electrician to install a new resin filled branch joint and you'll never have a problem again.

It is not going to get better on its own. The joint needs replacing… Regrettably. i know its not the answer that you want.

What they just said. Plus stop messing about with it- there was a case in the news a few years ago about horses being electrocuted at a racecourse where an underground cable joint had failed. The joint needs isolating, excavating and dismantling. The cables need testing for insulation resistance- if this has been going on for a while moisture may have got into the body of the cable.

So not even filling with more resin would remedy it? (assuming it was dry to start with)

Just removed all the wet sealant (think it's either slightly off so not setting or too cold) and it doesn't rip, so the sealant's definitely acting as a wet jacket around the live area. I'll try the resin, no harm done, if no luck I'll replace it.

Some common kinds of sealants are quite acidic while they cure and will make things much worse.
Turn the power off and it it fixed properly.

Pour in new resin and you will trap moisture in the cable.

As said you must remove that joint completely and use a new joint.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back