outside electrics

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just moved house and have found that the outside electrics are wired through to the conservatory, from a switch then into a 5A fuse going outside to what i think is 2.5mm cable in a plastic conduit. This feeds a light and single socket in the shed as well as 2 single plugs in the garden. Is this safe or should i chuck the whole lot and replace it with some SWA and a RCD and move the power source to a separate MCB in the CU? I also have lights wired up around the garden which are wired i believe the same way but not 100%. :confused:

Sponsored Links
It is hard to work out exactly what you have.
In general any underground cable will be SWA.
Conduit outside can present problems in that it can channel water to unwanted places.
Plastic conduit offers very little real protection to cables.
So likely you are right and it would be better to replace but since councils charge £100+ to register the work it can cost more to DIY than to get a registered electrician to do the work.
So I would recommend getting an electrician to look at the work tell you what is needed and give you a price. Plus agree any work you are doing for him like dig trenches as without seeing the work we could easy give wrong advice.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back