Shed feed

I don’t consider it compliant. However if you were to make it ok you may find your PC and heater trip out !

Ideally you would run 2 cables from the main house cu to the swa. Maybe add two 20A mcbs? In house cu.

1 Mcb and cable to connect to 2 swa cores.

Move the lighting off its own swa pair.

Use one swa pair for one shed
Other swa pair for summer house

But this assumes 4 core swa runs to first shed

Edit. Looking at your diagram it doesn’t!

But that’s a lot of work for little benefit

Sponsored Links
I don’t consider it compliant. However if you were to make it ok you may find your PC and heater trip out !

Ideally you would run 2 cables from the main house cu to the swa. Maybe add two 20A mcbs? In house cu.

1 Mcb and cable to connect to 2 swa cores.

Move the lighting off its own swa pair.

Use one swa pair for one shed
Other swa pair for summer house

But this assumes 4 core swa runs to first shed

Edit. Looking at your diagram it doesn’t!

But that’s a lot of work for little benefit

Thank you so much for this. Main aim was to check whether it is compliant or not and think you've confirmed my suspicion. New baby arrived has made me check alot of things i had concerns about but put off until later.

Out of interest, what is the minimum to make it compliant? Is it just change the 32A MCB to a 20A or is there a way to keep the 32A ring? Add fused switch between t+e and SWA?

Your ideal suggestion might actually not be that difficult. The utility sockets are on their own ring so there are already two cables going there. They are fed from a 32A MCB but this could be changed for a 20 A and another 20A installed. We don't use it as a utility. Currently the only thing being powered is a router. Sometimes plug in garden stuff but no huge demand.

Could maybe use these cables for two separate radials with a branch in the utility to keep a couple of sockets there. This is ok isn't it?

You're right about the SWA being only 3 core between the outside socket and the shed. I wouldn't feel too bad about replacing this though. If it meant a compliant and reliable arrangement. I can't afford to have the computer cutting out regularly.

I said the outside socket and DB are half way between the house and the shed but it is actually quite a bit closer to the shed. Could I take a fused spur from the shed radial for the lighting? I don't care about the switch being at the house.

Thanks again,
Matt

Yeah that’s not a bad idea.

Also see if you can get 25A mcbs for your CU for the util.

Isn’t half your kitchen off this ring ?

You need to see what size the swa are. This is marked on the outside of black cable.

You also need to know approx length.

These can then be put into online calculators at whole sales websites.
To give you the max current rating.

Unlikely. But maybe all you need to do is change the Mcb to 25 or 20 and you could sleep better.

Last edited:
Yeah that’s not a bad idea.

Also see if you can get 25A mcbs for your CU for the util.

Isn’t half your kitchen off this ring ?

You need to see what size the swa are. This is marked on the outside of black cable.

You also need to know approx length.

These can then be put into online calculators at whole sales websites.
To give you the max current rating.

Unlikely. But maybe all you need to do is change the Mcb to 25 or 20 and you could sleep better.

Half kitchen is from the same MCB as the outside electrics. The other half is on the same MCB as boiler and downstairs sockets (not including front room and other half of kitchen).

I had a look but couldn't see the size of the SWA the other day. I'll look again later. The furthest shed is about 50m away. Not measured but a rough guess. Ill measure and type into the calculators.

I take it adding a new MCB will be classed as adding new circuit and not alteration to existing. Should I be getting an electrician in? I have no doubt I could competently install this but dotting the eyes and crossing the ts I'm less certain. I don't want to be voiding insurance should anything go wrong.

Sponsored Links
The feed looks 4mm to me as the hole it enters is 20mm by the look of it and the SWA looks a tad bigger so could be 6mm. There should be some markings on the outer sheath of it, as others have said it could do with at least a Grommet or maybe a stuffing gland. I'm not exactly sure why he didn't use the same type of back box as the FCU

The supply looks solid core to me so 2.5mm

You aren’t adding a circuit.
You just making it safer

The supply looks solid core to me so 2.5mm

You aren’t adding a circuit.
You just making it safer

Thanks for your help. And everyone else. It is very much appreciated.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back