Rewiring Shed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am going to rewire the shed and just wanted to make sure that I did it right.

At the moment the way it is wired up is 16amp MCB to 2.5mm T+E to Metal app box to 2.5mm SWA going through the wall of the house, then along the ground, into the shed, along the shed floor at the back of the shed, along the shed floor at the side of the shed, and into a metal ccu.

From the shed ccu:

goes to one double socket.

goes to a 2 Gang light switch, which runns: First Gang= Shed light. Second Gang= Floodlight on back of house to light up the garden.

The way I was going to rewire the shed was:

Change 16amp MCB for 32amp MCB

Change 2.5mm T+E for 4mm T+E

Keep the same metal app box

Change 2.5mm SWA for 4mm SWA and clip it up to the outside of the shed, and also clip it up inside the shed.

Put in a New ccu with MCBs in the Shed

Put in three double sockets, one near door, one at back of shed near workbench, one on other side of shed for Frezzer and Tumble Dryer, as a ring.

Keep the same 2 Gang lightswitch, but change shed light to a 4 ft Single Fluorescent tube, and keep Floodlight on outside of house (its a PIR Floodlight).

Sponsored Links
Need some information.

TOTAL distance from House CCU to Shed CCU..

Total expected load in the shed...

What type of ingress protection does the shed have?

Guys, is a CCU not a Cooker Control Unit? :rolleyes: ;)

A CU is a Consumer Unit.

as big spark says, more info required. also no mention of testing. sorry to harp on about part p again but its relevant here.

are you getting a spark to test for you on completion?

Sponsored Links
crafty1289 said:
Guys, is a CCU not a Cooker Control Unit? :rolleyes: ;)

A CU is a Consumer Unit.

OOPPPS :oops:

Didn't notice that I had typed two C's!!

Your right Crafty,should be CU no CCU!!!

(I am a natural blond though :D)

Big_Spark said:
Need some information.

TOTAL distance from House CCU to Shed CCU..

Total expected load in the shed...

What type of ingress protection does the shed have?

Total distance from House CCU to Shed CCU is about 5m or less.

Load in the Shed will be:

Freezer

Tumble Dyer

Heater 2Kw

Outside Floodlight

Pond Pump

Two sets of Low Voltage outside lights

Lawn mower

quick note. check your freezer will run below 10 degrees. certain climate classes wont.

crafty1289 said:
quick note. check your freezer will run below 10 degrees. certain climate classes wont.

The shed is insulated, and I am going to put a small heater into the shed as well, to help keep the shed warm.

mdbalson said:
crafty1289 said:

The shed is insulated, and I am going to put a small heater into the shed as well, to help keep the shed warm.
even when you're not in there?

ingress protection means how well built is the shed to resist water, and other things that could penetrate into the shed. But you've answered this by saying its insulated!

I was going to get one of those heaters which cut in when the temp drops below a set temp.

mdbalson said:
I was going to get one of those heaters which cut in when the temp drops below a set temp.
a thermostatic one then, like most heaters? :LOL: ;)

OK..well the shed should be fed with a 6mm² feed to ensure it can handle the potential load with everything you have said.

The Main Incomer should be a 100mA 40A Type S RCD.

I would suggest that each piece of equipment has it's own circuit and that the Pond pump, lawn mower socket and heater are fed on 30mA RCBO's. Whilst this is not a requirement it is advisable as you are having a freezer in there. It is sods law that one would fail and trip the main RCD just after you leave for holiday!!

I suggest these as these are the most likely to cause nuisance tripping. DO NOT PUT THE FREEZER ON ANYTHING OTHER THAN AN MCB, they have a habit of tripping them, hence using the 100mA main RCD.

Use a 4-way consumer unit. Have the main incomer as a 30mA RCD.

;) Works for me.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back