Outside Electrics

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, I am considering putting power into my shed at home, can people please advise the best way to do this? I have an old style consumer unit the one with fuse wire and ceramic holders!!

thanks

Sponsored Links
Suggest you give a few more details - how much power do you want? How far away is the shed? How often would you want to use the power?
I've used an "Armadillo" type set up - armoured cable terminated into junction boxes. One end has a 13A plug (RCD protected)and lead wired in - this then plugs into a nearby socket - as it's not a permanent addition to the house wiring things are much simpler! As long as nothing in the shed has a combined load of 3000W or so that should work fine. ( Has so far for my set up)

This has been covered countless times.

Do a search here for terms like shed, garage, outside, outbuilding and you'll find all the info you need.

The main factors you have to consider are how far away the shed is, what route the cable takes, what load it has to support, and whether you have a PME supply or not.

Also, you need to consider what your position will be concerning compliance with this: http://www.opsi.gov.uk/si/si2004/20043210.htm

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back