fitting a second consumer unit on the outside of a building

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Here's the thing..
I have an old 6 way consumer unit fitted inside, all of which are being used. I am thinking about installing a power shower upstairs and also running an armored cable down the garden to a shed/office.
Here is the question.. Is it possible/legal/safe to fit a second consumer unit on the outside of the building say under a porch or lean-to or in a specially built weatherproof cupboard? Then I could easily run the shower cable up the the bathroom on the outside of the building and run the cable down to the shed? The alternative would be to replace the old unit with a new 11 way consumer unit and run the cable to the outside of the building anyway.

By the way I know nothing about electrics!

Thanks
Nath

Sponsored Links
Then you should not start your learning process by launching straight into new CUs, new circuits, bathroom circuits, external supplies, all of which are notifiable, and all of which can seriously bite you if you get something wrong.

There are so many things that you need to know to tackle these jobs that it's either going to be a while before you can do them, (and the process of getting there must be more structured than asking random questions here) or you need to get an electrician.

Any chance of a picture of the old 6 way unit ? Its probably best to have this replaced with a nice new 12way consumer unit installed by a competant Electrician.
You can get IP rated enclosures for external use but i wouldnt recommend it.

Here's the thing..
I have an old 6 way consumer unit fitted inside, all of which are being used. I am thinking about installing a power shower upstairs and also running an armored cable down the garden to a shed/office.
Here is the question.. Is it possible/legal/safe to fit a second consumer unit on the outside of the building say under a porch or lean-to or in a specially built weatherproof cupboard? Then I could easily run the shower cable up the the bathroom on the outside of the building and run the cable down to the shed? The alternative would be to replace the old unit with a new 11 way consumer unit and run the cable to the outside of the building anyway.

By the way I know nothing about electrics!

Thanks
Nath

Oh
my
God.....

Sponsored Links
I wonder if the building guys get,

I would like to make my entire ground floor open plan. To this end, I would like to rip out every single internal wall.

BTW, I know nothing about building!

ok so perhaps i should have mentioned that there was no way that I would been doing the work and yes I would be looking to employ a qualified sparky to do the wiring... but is it possible to fit one outside??

ok so perhaps i should have mentioned that there was no way that I would been doing the work and yes I would be looking to employ a qualified sparky to do the wiring
Then maybe you should not have written

"Then I could easily run the shower cable up the the bathroom on the outside of the building and run the cable down to the shed"

but is it possible to fit one outside??
Yes but why do you want one outside?

Why do you want to have to go outside to reset a breaker when it trips?

To make it more convenient for vandals, goths or TrickOrTreaters to plunge you into darkness

Is it possible/legal/safe to fit a second consumer unit on the outside of the building say under a porch or lean-to or in a specially built weatherproof cupboard?

Nathski, why didn't you just get a sparks to come round and discuss your plans, much easier, and it stops us lot humouring each other

By why would you want to run the shower cable up the outside of your house?

You would have to protect it from the elements (conduit) which would look unsightly (IMO) or use SWA ..possibly, expensive solution that

Nathski, why didn't you just get a sparks to come round and discuss your plans, much easier, and it stops us lot humouring each other

By why would you want to run the shower cable up the outside of your house?

You would have to protect it from the elements (conduit) which would look unsightly (IMO) or use SWA ..possibly, expensive solution that

Thanks Oharaf
I thought I would do a little research before calling a professional. I guess I have little option but to pay for a replacement unit... and as I understand it that has to come with a full wiring check.. possible rewiring of entire house.. etc etc. better start saving my pennies

Don't dispair!!

A nice new split load CU will open up more possibilities and be far more convinient.

Yes the sparky Should test all the circuits, and it may show up one or two areas that might need attention, it depends on age and wear and tear.

A full rewire might be 'expensive' but done properly will provide you with piece of mind.

chances are it won't come to that and simply a new CU with your extra requirement i.e. shower and outside supply will be all you need to payout for.

The SWA for your garden supply will probably be one of the single biggest costs.

get the pro. then worry

OP:

Yes, MK Sentry Weathertight CU's are IP65 rated.

God knows why, I wouldn't dream of fitting a CU outside!

Could be usefull in a slaughter house or milking shed though, where theres a lot of hosing down going on. But not for your house.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back