Outside Kitchen Fittings Questions

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Morning, I'm building an outside BBQ/Grill area, arranged as a U shape with 3 sides of worktop with the grill inset in the worktop.

My questions:

I have power to my shed via SWA which passes close. Can I 'T' off with more SWA via an external JB to feed sockets under the worktop?

If yes, once under the worktop, can I use normal domestic sockets, and twin and earth; or will all fittings still be regarded as external?

If 'no', do flush mounted weatherproof sockets exist!

Thanks

CG

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
I have power to my shed via SWA which passes close. Can I 'T' off with more SWA via an external JB to feed sockets under the worktop?
T-ing off the actual SWA is tricky unless you know what you are doing. Unless there's a good bit of slack, you'd need to use one of these
https://www.electricaldirect.co.uk/...-mechanical-connectors-15-25mm-type-25-655124
Better to run the feed back from the shed.

If yes, once under the worktop, can I use normal domestic sockets, and twin and earth; or will all fittings still be regarded as external?
You could, if you are absolutely sure that there will never ever be any floods, moisture, fat run-off, or spilt beer.
Personally I wouldn't do it. Never seen flush outdoor sockets, don't forget the back box would need to be watertight too!
Outdoor sockets all come with a watertight lid, that might spoil the "look" if you were hoping for an outdoor kitchen that looks like an indoor one.

Thanks TTC. Shed: its 25-30m away, whereas the kitchen will be about 6 m from where the current outdoor socket is. Job for my friendly neighbourhood sparkie methinks (or an extension lead on sunny days!).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back