Outside light Photocell

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I will probably be asking a few questions over the next few weeks. I look after a church and church halls. These are well used by a lot of community groups. We had a church caretaker who was paid to look after a lot of things and was good at doing so. His hobby was electronics. He died suddenly on Saturday so I need to work out a lot and need help. I'm also coping with losing a good friend

We have two outside lights that are sodium streetlamps. I don’t want to be changing a time switch every week to get them on at the best time. I am sure there used to be a photocell that will switch on at dusk, switch off at about 2AM and then switch back on at about 6AM until dawn. I’m not sure of the exact times but does it still exist and where can I buy them.

Sponsored Links
You can series up any timer with any photocell, just set the on times early so it then waits for the darkness to trigger the photocell, set the off time 2am to 6am if desired.
You need to wire to the photocell first otherwise it will Inialisize on unnecessarily each time.

Not a photcell, but you could set a solar time clock to do that. On at dusk, off at what ever time you like.

Or - you could connect a photocell via an ordinary timeclock, set to turn off at a set time.

Both of those solutions would need an eye to be kept on the clock time, to ensure power outages do not put the time out.

Or - if there is internet, you could use a Smart plug/switch and Alexa, just tell Alexa on at dusk, off at 2am etc.. Nothing more to set, no worry about the clock getting out of sync.

Thanks, that would work but I seem to remember photcells with this built in being avialbale. I've I can't find them your suggestion is a good one.
You can series up any timer with any photocell, just set the on times early so it then waits for the darkness to trigger the photocell, set the off time 2am to 6am if desired.
You need to wire to the photocell first otherwise it will Inialisize on unnecessarily each time.
Thanks,

That would work but I can remember photocells with the timer function built in. It took them a few days, or weeks, to learn but they then worked week,

The idea of a time switch and photocell would work well so I might go along that route.

Sponsored Links
We have two outside lights that are sodium streetlamps. I don’t want to be changing a time switch every week to get them on at the best time. I am sure there used to be a photocell that will switch on at dusk, switch off at about 2AM and then switch back on at about 6AM until dawn. I’m not sure of the exact times but does it still exist and where can I buy them.
This may be that which you are seeking.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back