Outside light query

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I presently have one outside light. It is powered from the ring via a spur to a switched fused connection unit then cable to light. I want to fit another light (2 in total - 2 x 300w hi-lo dusk till dawn floodlights) and want to know if it is ok using the existing wiring and either taking the feed for the second light straight from the first (like a daisy chain!) or would it be better to go from the FCU to a junction box and then 2 separate cables to the lights? Also what type/size cable shall i use?

Many thanks in advance,

Gary.

Sponsored Links
What fuse is in the SFCU?

nothing wrong with daisy chaining from the first light, assuming you can fit two flexes into the supplied junction point.

Flex should be fine unless there are particular harsh conditions or likelihood of damage in the location. anything of 1.0mm2 or above will be fine if you have a 3A or 5A fuse in the SFCU

Gavin

Thanks Gavin, one more question!

Can i use 1.0mm flex from FCU (5A fuse) to 1st light (running inside house) then use 1.5mm T/E on outside of wall approx' 2.5m from ground for about 3 metres distance?

Cheers,

Gary.

Hi Gary,

Standard T/E isn't really suitable for use outside without protection. You could run it in plastic conduit, though it would probably be easier just to use flex.

Gavin

Sponsored Links
Gary,

yes in general flex is fine outside, though you should always take into account the risk of damage - the position you mention doesn't sound a problem really.

There is a product called HiTuf which has some slighter better protection if you want to do a really nice job - it has an aluminium shield round the cores which offers some protection (though not penetration protection really). SWA would be overkill imo.

In fact, there is an argument after all that T&E would not be a breach of the regs, the 16th OSG even says as much though mentions protection from sunlight because of the UV damage. Personally I would go with HiTuf but flex is perfectly adequate.

One thing I didn't ask - do you have rcd protection on the socket circuit the spur is taken from?

There is also the spectre of Part P - although extensions to circuits are not normally notifiable, work in a special location is. Its too late for me to double check the exact wording now, and for such a small job it might seem overkill.

Gavin

apologies - I meant screentuf which I got from my local supplier a while back - I've found it ideal for outside lighting and not that difficult to terminate.

But for a DIYer flex is a better way to go I think.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back