outside light

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi guys, im currently trying to replace our outside light, our house is an ex housing association one and it had an ugly looking light with a daytime sensor on it which kept blowing the halogen bulbs so i decided to replace it with a simple light that takes the normal energy saving bulbs,

now ive got the light to come on with a live main but cannot sort out the switch at all ! its got four brown wires -live -two neutral- blue and three earth leads... ive tried each live -brown wire on there own and only the main live works, the switch live blows the pcb -- please see attached pics in my album and i hope you can help!

thanks guys
GALLERY]

Sponsored Links
You havent wired it up the same as the old one, have you?

I guess the two browns at the light were in that connection block?

Were those blues exactly like that before? Did you take a picture/make a note of it before you changed it.

I have no idea what that "home creation" switch is for or how it is wired. Are you changing it?

I guess you have got the browns mixed up at the light.

Have other lights in the house stopped working ?

I guess you are saying the switch isn't doing anything ?

What does the other switch do? hall light?

What do you mean by blows pcb ? mcb ?

As usual a metal switch doesn't look earthed

thanks for your reply !!

it blows the mcb, the hall switch is for the hallway light and outside switch,

i have tried each brown wire in turn,

2 dont do anything, - from what i can tell?

1 is the perm live as the light stays on regardless of the switch an the other i presume is the switched live as once its wired in, you flick the switch and it blows the mcb?

do you think i need to wire two together?

thanks for your help!

Sponsored Links
The 2 that do nothing are probably the switch connections, therefore 1 needs connecting to a live and the other to the light

Hi, i suspect the two browns in the connector block are;

The feed to the switch and switched live return from the switch. If you have identified the permenet live that should connect with the switch feed and as you would expect the switched live connects to your lamp.

It is possible that the brown wire you connected is not used, and may be shorting to earth.

You really need a multimeter to do this safely, be careful !

Kind regards,

DS

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back