Outside lights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, wondered if anyone could help with an outside lighting problem?
I've run a 1.5 t&e from the fuse board (down stairs lights) to the first light outside, I've connected the brown to live and the other brown that gos to the next light to the natural, leaving the two blue cables together in a connector block, the cable then Goes to the next light where I've done the same, from here it goes to the switch where the brown goes to com and the blue to 1st way.
I can't under stand why when the light turns on by the switch the bulbs only glow and don't come on full.
If I disconnect the light nearest the board and just connect the cables back together then the light left comes on full power!!!
The bulbs are both 40w, max to be used is 60w.

Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Should be like this.

file.aspx

Sponsored Links
Thanks for you help, still not sure how I can resolve this as it all been rendered in the wall so can't re cable.
I've attached a diagram of what I've done
View media item 64891 [/img]

Can't be done without an extra wire between the lights unless you use 110v bulbs which would have to be tungsten and of same wattage.

1) You have switch in the neutral that is not permitted.
2) If you put link to lines instead of neutral and feed that to switch then from switch to first lamp then you have no neutral at first lamp.

So unless you add a wire between lamps then only real way is to only use one lamp.

So you will be controlling the lights directly from the Consumer Unit?

To be frank, you really need to call an electrician in because as others have said you are wiring in series instead of parallel and worst still is that you don't appear to understand what you have done wrong, even after one assumes that you have read the links posted for you.

To give you a hint - from your DB (Consumer Unit - fuse box) which should be a 5/6Amp Fuse/MCB you should either go to the switch - if you are bringing power in that way.
From the switch your cables go from light to light linking into the LIVE and NEUTRAL and EARTH (which you don't seem to have).
So for each light you should have two brown wires to the L and two blue wires to the Neutral and two sleeved earth wires to the earth terminal (assuming there is one).
Only the last light on the circuit will have one set of cables.

Thanks guys, I see where I've messed up now.
With regards to switch in neutral this was just the way I quickly drew it it is actually the other way round.

My concern is that you appear to have opened your Consumer Unit and made changes/alterations or additions to it without any real knowledge of what you are doing.

For example how have you connected your new installation to the Consumer Unit - what MCB size does it have and is there additional protection of an RCD?

If you are taking the LNE from the Consumer Unit to the switch then the L (in) goes into C and the N (in) goes into a terminal strip and the earth(in) to the back box.
Then you take a L(out) from the switch L1 - the N(out) from the N terminal strip and the earth(out) from the earth terminal in the back box.
Then follow my instructions for the terminations at the lamp.

Honestly, if you do not understand what I have said then you should not be playing around with electrical installations you will be a danger to yourself and others.

My concern is that you appear to have opened your Consumer Unit and made changes/alterations or additions to it without any real knowledge of what you are doing.

For example how have you connected your new installation to the Consumer Unit - what MCB size does it have and is there additional protection of an RCD?

If you are taking the LNE from the Consumer Unit to the switch then the L (in) goes into C and the N (in) goes into a terminal strip and the earth(in) to the back box.
Then you take a L(out) from the switch L1 - the N(out) from the N terminal strip and the earth(out) from the earth terminal in the back box.
Then follow my instructions for the terminations at the lamp.

Honestly, if you do not understand what I have said then you should not be playing around with electrical installations you will be a danger to yourself and others.

To be honest I do understand everything you have just mentioned, the circuit is on the original downstairs 6amp breaker and is rcd protected.

With regards to what I'm doing, your correct, I'm not a qualified electrician, but have been doing general electrics for 20years, not my main occupation , I'm a builder and renovate property's.
I understand what you say about being a danger to myself and others but have a good brain and knowledge of a lot of what I do, but would never do anything that would prove to be dangerous, thus why I've sought advice now. I've come across plenty of "qualified" electricians in my time and believe me I've seen some bad things from these people that I know is incorrect and wrong.
You can't tell me that you've never done anything that you shouldn't really be doing yourself, if you do I wouldn't believe ya!!
Anyway thanks for your help it really is much participated.

With regards to what I'm doing, your correct, I'm not a qualified electrician, but have been doing general electrics for 20years
Not got grasp of it yet though, even on a quite simple set up!
I hope you have not been selling you building services, stating that you have 20 years experience in messing around with electrics, with the very little knowledge you seem to have displayed here.

With regards to what I'm doing, your correct, I'm not a qualified electrician, but have been doing general electrics for 20years
Not got grasp of it yet though, even on a quite simple set up!
I hope you have not been selling you building services, stating that you have 20 years experience in messing around with electrics, with the very little knowledge you seem to have displayed here.

Don't try and be smart mate, as I said I renovate property and electrical is something that if I do it is only a small %

It was a very easy mistake I made and know completely understand where I went wrong

Again I suppose you are completely above board and legit in everything you do, you can start giving me a lecture it's not really a problem, but these forums are great places for helping others, where not all really qualified electrictions and plumbers on here ya know and if we all knew what we were doing there wouldn't be a need for a forum!!!! Or do you use it just to get advice to or are you the sparky savour to all and help all us out!!!

Again I suppose you are completely above board and legit in everything you do,
I try to be but to be honest on the odd occasion, I have nudged slightly over 30 MPH limit
you can start giving me a lecture it's not really a problem, but these forums are great places for helping others, where not all really qualified electrictions and plumbers on here ya know and if we all knew what we were doing there wouldn't be a need for a forum!!!!
this is very true and I am not about to lecture, but you stated that you have 20 years of experience, the solution was simple, but beyond you, I suggest if I may that you just hold your hands up and say that your knowledge is limited and not to make claims on experience that bears no real truth in the facts, I do not intend to offend or lecture, take these comments as you will.
Or do you use it just to get advice to or are you the sparky savour to all and help all us out!!!
I gain knowledge from my visits to the forums of DIYnot also at times seek help, information and guidance, I also have some credible experience and qualifications that I would hope allows me to offer informed replies to members that require some help.

[/quote]
this is very true and I am not about lecture, but you stated that you have 20 years of experience, the solution was simple, but beyond you, I suggest if I may that you just hold your hands up and say that your knowledge is limited and not to make claims on experience that bears no real truth in the facts, I do not intend to offend or lecture, take these comments as you will.
DonDonson";p="2846654 said:
I have held my hands up, I stated that I have 20 years experience doing general electrical work, not 20 years solely electrical work. And I was confused over something that I find very simple to understand now through getting advice from this free for all forum!!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back