wickes 150w pir security light

Sponsored Links
Erm, TTC, this is a guy who doesn't understand the very first thing about electrical circuits.

He appears to intend to install a Class I light fitting outside, hasn't considered how to switch it, thinks he can somehow power it up from an existing switch and almost certainly has no idea about circuit protection.

The only advice we should really be giving is not to do it.

Too many people think that if they can get it to work it must be okay.

I understand that a neutral and live wire would never be together FFS

I have read being there is no neutral present I could take a neutral from the ceiling rose to the light

Can anyone explain how to do this and if its possible

Many thanks for your help

Sponsored Links
How many cables do you have at the rose?

Do you have one cable supplying earth, neutral and switched live?

Or do you have two or more cables with earth, neutrals, switched live and permanent lives? (the permanent lives will be in a block on their own, usually in the centre)

The ceiling rose has 2 earth wires - 3 black wires on 1 side - 3 red wires in the middle - red and a black wire other side.
Thanks

The ceiling rose has 2 earth wires - 3 black wires on 1 side - 3 red wires in the middle - red and a black wire other side.
Thanks

Right.
Run a 1.0/1.5 mm twin and earth cable from here to the switch position.

At light connect neutral wire with the 3 blacks.
Live wire to 3 reds in middle.
Earth to earth.

At switch connect the neutral and the new outside light neutral together in an insulated 5 amp connector block.

Connect the live to the COM of the new switch.
Connect the other live from the new outside light to the L1 of the new switch.

Earth to earth. Sleeve all bare earth wires with earth sleeving.

No need to alter the original wiring of the existing switch (apart from joining all earths up if you are fitting a 2 gang switch).

Work safely.

Sparkwright your a star thank you so much I will post back when its done.

Thanks

If we do not hear any more from you, shall we assume that all is OK, or that you have discovered what "touch voltage" means ;)

I understand that a neutral and live wire would never be together FFS
See? You don't know. A neutral is, by definition, a live conductor. And in most circumstances the neutral would accompany an associated line conductor, except at a switch... something you did not know a few posts ago.

I have read being there is no neutral present I could take a neutral from the ceiling rose to the light

Can anyone explain how to do this and if its possible
I really mean it when I say you shouldn't be attempting this.

Of course, once done you will test your alteration of the circuit in accordance with Part 6 of BS 7671 and issue the appropriate certificate?

No. Of course not. Assuming it switches on when you want it to you will be happy that all is well.

While I have no objection to DIY electrical work, this is on the assumption that you understand what you are doing and can carry out the work safely to an accepted standard. You have no idea what that standard requires and are therefore committing an offence under the Building Regulations, which may only come to light when somebody suffers a loss in the future. Naturally, you will inform any future occupier of the premises about this and any other uncertified electrical work should you come to move on, so that they can satisfy themselves of its compliance with standards?

I have done everything as instructed but I have a slight problem the light outside only comes on when the switch wired to is on if I turn switch off pir does not light up.

The switch is for maintenance, and should normally be left on.

Some fittings allow you to quickly switch the light off then on again to overide it.

i cant leave the switch on as the hall lights will be on all the time.

You should have a separate switch for the outside light.

You shouldn't have to turn on the hall light for the outside light to work.

How did you wire the new cable into the hall ceiling rose?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back