150W security light from garage 2way switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks,

I decided to add a PIR controlled 150 Watt security flood light to the side of my garage and take the supply from the existing light circuit within the garage. The previous owners must have had the same idea as there's a junction box that's been inserted by cutting the wire to or from the 2 way switch (red, blue, yellow, earth wires)... My question would be which wires to take the power from to the new security light which only requires live / neutral / earth? I was thinking it would be blue and yellow (and earth!) but wanted to check with the pro's.

Sponsored Links
Why blue and yellow?

Anyway, this wire sounds like a switch link cable. Are there two switches in the garage? You cant just go cutting into any wire you see fit when it comes to light circuits.

If there is only one switch, trace the cable to its other end, and see what is there, and what cores are connectedd to what.

I guess that's why the junction box had nothing else wired into it then.
There's two switches in the garage, a 2 way and a 3 way; but only two existing fluorescent lights. What would you suggest?

Find a location on the circuit with a permenant live, neutral and earth (assuming you dont want it switching manually). Such a location can be found in the consumer unit ;)

Sponsored Links
It surely can! Shame as I was hoping for an easy fix from that junction box... Guess I'm going to be buying more cable!

Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back