PIR Lighting connections

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an oldish (7 years) outside light with integral PIR. I want to install it just as an occasional use outside light but do not need/want the PIR function. The only possible feed is from a standard household mains socket (switched with 3amp fuse) but I am not sure how it should be wired. The unit has a 4 wire connection block - Earth, Live(Brown), Neutral(Blue) and Black. I assume the Black would be to connect the switched live if it were fed from the lighting circuit. Would connecting mains Brown/Brown, Blue/Blue, Earth/Earth still work or should I connect mains Brown to unit Black and so bypass the PIR.
Many thanks for any advice.

Sponsored Links
Impossible to tell from the description. There are no real conventions on internal wiring, and in some cases the lamp wiring do not even appear as external connections.

Post a photo of the connection block and can give a better guess.

But, quite honestly, if its 7 years old, I would be binning it and getting a nice new, energy efficient LED light..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back