Outside lights?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ive got two outside lights wired upto a pir sensor, its wired into a fuse in the garage but its not very bright with only 100w bulbs in each side. Ive removed one of the lights tonight and connected up a 500w floodlight in its place. The light worked fine coming on and off for about 20 mins but then the bulb blew.Is this just a case of a cheap bulb or would the wiring not being able to cope be the problem?The wires are quite thick twin +earth, it only just bends into the light fittting. Would it be ok to run another 500w light in place of the other 100w light or would it just keep blowing the fuse? Any other problems with this set up please let me know.

Sponsored Links
Did you hold the lamp in a nice clean handky when you put it in, or did you use your sticky mitts?

if you left even a trace of grease on the lamp then that will fry and zap the lamp.

I used a load of blue paper towel to insert the bulb, made it difficult to grip it but it did go in eventually.

Sponsored Links
I think it must have been a cheap bulb supplied with the light as a new bulb has lasted this time. Its one of the five quid 500w lights from wilkos. Its wired into a pir sensor but the wiring was already there by the last owner.

There's no reason why the circuit would have issues with load going from 2 x 100w to 2 x 500w (1000w = 4.3A).

What is an issue is how the lights connect to a supply, is it via a lighting circuit or via the ring main ?

Most lighting circuits are rated at 6A, so 4.3A is taking a big chunk of the capacity of a lighting circuit.

Are the lights staying on as flood lighting or will you only have them on via the PIR and set to just a few minutes on?

If the lights are via a ring main fused spur, check the fuse at the spur because it may have been a 3A and will need to be increased to a 5A

get one of the lights to come on, then watch your lecy meter, get them both to come on and then think perhaps a differnt light would be better after all

Im not too sure on if they are connected to the ring main or just the circuit. There are only two strip lights and one (maybe going to be two) 500w light fitted to the cabling. The wiring is only around a metre or so from the fuse box and it goes straight into the back of there. The light only come on for around 45 seconds a time. Id rather see where i was going than save a few pence on the electric bill.Would the fuse still need to be changed to a 5 amp if it is a 3 amp with the limited amount of time they are on for?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back