Outside Lighting Notifiable Works?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Id like some outside lights(4 230v LED. less than 50w total). I could fit them myself, and I'd quite like to as it should be an interesting project.

My plan would be:

Indoors
Add a 13 amp fused spur(and a timer) off of one of the internal sockets (ring main, with RCD).

Outdoors
Use wiska boxes, hi-tuff and conduit to power some bulkhead lights. All connections will be in IP rated enclosures.

This is in England, and I have the Domestic Electric Installation Certificate from when the house was rewired a few years ago, so I know what my current state of play is.

Is this considered notifiable work? Everything I've read so far seems to indicate it was at one point, but the regulations were relaxed. So I should now be able to do this work myself with no need to get this addition certified.

Thanks
Dec

Sponsored Links
Indoors
Add a 13 amp fused spur(and a timer) off of one of the internal sockets (ring main, with RCD).
Ok. Fused Connector Unit with a 3A fuse will be adequate.
The cable is the spur (lots of people, even manufacturers and sellers, make that mistake).

Outdoors
Use wiska boxes, hi-tuff and conduit to power some bulkhead lights. All connections will be in IP rated enclosures.
You don't really need hi-tuff with conduit.
Everything is IP rated. IP00 is unlikely to be marked as such.

This is in England, and I have the Domestic Electric Installation Certificate from when the house was rewired a few years ago, so I know what my current state of play is.
Ok.

Is this considered notifiable work?
No.

Everything I've read so far seems to indicate it was at one point, but the regulations were relaxed.
Correct.

So I should now be able to do this work myself with no need to get this addition certified.
No.
As you are doing the work, you should test and certify it, i.e. complete the certificate.

DIYers do not have the necessary test equipment, so you are unlikely to be able to do it to the letter of the law and regulations even though it likely will be satisfactory.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back