Outside Lights Problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We had the whole house rewired a few months ago including new fuse boxes. The electrician installed 2 outside lights with dusk till dawn sensors. Since installed we have gone through 5 bulbs, I keep finding that one of the bulbs has gone which has also tripped the switch in the fuse box. It has happened to both lights.
Before I call the electrician back, what is it most likely to be ?

Bulbs, Lights, sensor, wiring or the fuse box ?

Any advice would be grateful.

Many Thanks.

Marvin

Sponsored Links
marvin said:
that one of the bulbs has gone which has also tripped the switch in the fuse box.

its susposed to do that

not sure what the fault is tho. is it just the outside lamps what go?

yes I only have problems with the 2 outside lights. But a the rate bulbs are blowing its going to cost a fortune to keep replacing them.

It's most likely to be rubbish bulbs. Try a better make or try rough service bulbs or longlife bulbs.

Sponsored Links
if they are strait dusk to dawn sensors, why not fit "energy saving lamps"

Ok, I'll give that ago.
If I'm honest, they are the cheapest bulbs money can buy :)

marvin said:
If I'm honest, they are the cheapest bulbs money can buy :)
Sure about that?:

marvin said:
But a the rate bulbs are blowing its going to cost a fortune to keep replacing them.
One tip - make sure that you buy lamps rated at 240V, not 230.

Could this be these lights taking too much load?

Some come with 500W which is enough to light a football stadium.

I replaced my 500W with 300W.

The light units say to fit 60W ES Screw cap bulbs, thats what I did, the cheap jobbies from wickes.

So, which should I try first, rough service or long life ?

Cheers

Marvin

The life of those lamps is 1000 hours at their rated voltage. If the supply voltage at your house is at the high end of the tolerance (it could be 253V) the lamp life could fall to 500 hours.

From dusk to dawn there are 4,300 hours in the year. So you could expect to change lamps up to eight times a year.

Energy saving lamps have a much longer life and are not so sensitive to voltage

Stoday said:
The life of those lamps is 1000 hours at their rated voltage. If the supply voltage at your house is at the high end of the tolerance (it could be 253V) the lamp life could fall to 500 hours.
Also, remember that when a lamp manufacturer quotes a life that's the time by which he expects 50% of them to have failed...

Energy saving lamps have a much longer life and are not so sensitive to voltage
Need to check to see if the photoswitch is OK for CFLs - IIRC some of them let a dribble through when off, causing the lamps to flash...

Some energy savers are not rated for continuous use so read the small print on the packaging before spalshing out.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back