Outside lights.. use of timeclock and override switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,
I have been asked to carry on with some electrical work due to the other guy passing away.
I have done a simple drawing in 'paint' (my apologies now for how badly done it is) of roughly what i intend to do.
However i have not really done much work on timeclocks i was just wondering if you could guide me in the right direction if the diagram is wrong. I know i have missed out the CPC in the diagram.

What i am trying to achieve is that the timeclock triggers the lights to come on and when they go off the customer can turn them on manually by switch and override the timeclock.
Is the way i've got the feed and sw to the switch from the timeclock correct?
They will be mounted next to each other in the building unfortunately i will be using trunking so i am trying to minimise the number of cables coming down.
Would i have to drop a separate feed and sw's for the switch? or can i come off the timeclock?

On the timeclock it self it has L, N and 2 relays, numbers 1 and 2 are Live and Neutral, 3 and 4 are again live and neutral. Do you have to use the Neutral? or can u do it the way i've done it?

There will be a junction box in the ceiling void again in minimise number of cables to reduce size of trunking on show.

Link below shows the wiring diagram, you have have to download it to make it clear.

http://imagehost.darkernet.co.uk/i/p01.JPG

All replies welcome.

Thanks,

carlos

Sponsored Links
although the timer has 2 relays does it have 2 on /offs ? one for each light, only i was thinking, pity you had the timer already other wise you could use an immersion heater timer with built in over ride (less wiring)

Thanks for the diagram and switch recommendation Big_Spark, much appreciated.

Regarding to what you were saying Breezer, It does indeed have 2 on /offs on the timeclock. Basically i have 2 banks of lights. 1bank controlling the car park lights the other controlling the entrance lights. The customer wanted them to come on and off at different times. The electrician who was doing the job before hand had already brought all the accessories so i am using what he left behind.

Me being stupid now... please can you explain how the immersion heater timer with built in over ride works? What is different about the wiring method?

Thanks,

carlos

Sponsored Links
as big spark has drawn there is an "extra" switch wire going to the lights, an immersion heater timer does away with this becuse the overide switch just puts the supply onto the cable going to the light. (since it os already at the timer) its not much of a saving in wiring i admit, but it is easier.

Breezer is correct in his comment about the Immersion Timer..However, this would look totally unprofessional. It would be OK for a DIYer to do this, but we are talking about a paying customer here..so I would stick with the timer already sourced for the Job..

timer is already there anyway, just thought i would mention it as a point of interest (the timer)

Many thanks to you both for the extra advice.

In the future i will be starting a discussion up about boilers and heating systems. i am trying to get a clearer understanding on the way it works and the different systems.

If at hand you know of any good websites where diagrams and information is kept that would be handy.

Regards,

Carlos

Carloss said:
If at hand you know of any good websites where diagrams and information is kept that would be handy.

er................this one, see for refernce

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back