contactor help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, can someone point me in the right direction please.
I'm wiring up some lights controled by a contactor. I haven't connected a contactor up before and the are no instructions with it.
I have the load (lights) a switch (timeclock) and the supply. where do all the live and neutrals go in the contactor. the trerminals i have a 1, R1, R3, 3, 2 R2, R4, 4, 13no 21nc, a1, 14no, 22nc, a2 i don't think i will need all terminals as its only single phase. Can anyone help please, or have a simple diagram. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Can you post up a piccy of the contactor? Normally the coil is across A1 and A2, hence to make the contactor energize you will need to connect the switch live from your time clock to A1 and neutral to A2.
There is normally a diagram on the contactor telling you what terminal does what.

hi thanks i cant as i don't have a camera with me. its a square d number lc1d128f7 if that helps.
thanks

ok so i have a1 and a2, a1 being live from switch and A2 being neutral. Where will the load go? and where does the perminant live go? |Thanks again

Sponsored Links
I am not familiar with that particular contactor, I take it that it is DIN type i.e. fits inside a consumer unit? Is there a diagram on the side, can you copy it into MS paint and upload it? The key to what you are asking is in that diagram.
The load and supply will generally connect to either side of the contacts, these contacts being switched by the coil being energized which is where the time clock comes in I take it.

yes that sounds about right. I'm in a internet cafe so i cant upload or anything here but will do tonight.

ok I have added a picture. Change of plan now though. I want the lights to operate by a photocell, but, i want the lights to be on when it is light outside and go off when its dark - strange i know. I have added a picture (excuse the quality of it)
so any idea of how to do this, i know its simple but i have no experience of contactors! Let me know. Ta..

Is there a diagram on the contactor of how it is internally connected?
Not sure on how you would go about doing what you say with the photocell, it may be poss using the N/C contact which will be open when the contactor is energized, however these are normally only aux contacts and are not always rated for the full rating of the main contacts. Photocells normally operate so when it gets dark they go closed circuit, not sure if you can get them working the opposite way around.

I can't find a data sheet on the 'net but I found it in a catalogue which states it has a 110V coil. Are you using a 110V supply?

There was no diagrams of the internal wiring at all. I gathered that photo cells normally works the oposite way round to i want it to work but i was told i could do this with the normally closed contacts.????
Am i right in saying i would need to energise the coil perminatly with the live in A1 and neutral in A2. Then connect the switch live from the photocell to 21NC and load to 22NC??The load is quite little, just 6 lights!! so basically you wouldn't connect anything to where you would put for example a 3 phase supply. Any ideas??

From what I gather you want the photcell to control the coil of the contactor and the actual contacts to switch on the lights. You will need to find a photocell capable of withstanding the 110v to switch the coil and also the coil operating current. The contacts can then be used in the N/C position to switch on the lights during the day. When the photcell switches on , the contactor coil will energise and open the contacts. Any contact with a 1 & 2 are N/C and 3 & 4 are N/O, A1 is the live and A2 the neutral. Hope this helps a bit.

Just re read you post, can you not use the time clock to energise the coil and do away with the photcell? Less is best.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back