Outside Painting - Advice Required

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I am currently in the process of fixing the back of my house.

So far I have removed all the blown paint & render and am currently patching up the blown render.

As things stand I will be painting on to 3 different surfaces and was looking for some advice on the paint procedure for each. So here are the questions I have and would be grateful if someone could help.

1. What should I use to wash the existing paintwork? Using a pressure cleaner is not an option unfortunately. There are no signs of moss and probably just a little dirty.

2. What process should I use to paint on top of the new render? The new render consists of 5 sand + 1 cement and 6mm granite chips.

3. What process should I use to paint on top of the existing surface after I remove the blown paint?

4. What process should I use to paint on top of the exposed render as some areas are right back to the old render. The old render looks like some kind of wet cast.

5. What process should I use to paint on top of the bare stone around the windows?

At the moment I have bought a couple of 10l tubs of sandtex exterior paint and some thompsons weather seal but can buy more materials if needed.

Any advise you could offer would be great.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
1 I would use sugar soap in a bucket and a soft hand broom then rinse off with Hose / Watering can / Brush and lots of clean water.
2 to 5 follow the instructions from the paint supplier on tin. They don't seem to suggest a diluted coat on their tins but always worth ringing their helpline to "get it from the horses mouth". http://www.sandtex.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/ultra-smooth-masonry-pack-shot.png
Sandtex is fine, good stuff (my own favourite is Dulux Weathershield) but why are you using Weather Seal?
It is normally only done as a last resort to stop penetrating damp (and often causes more problems that it solves) I would stick with just the paint two coats, plus any diluted sealer coat if the maker advises it.

First of all thanks very much for replying and providing advice, really appreciate it.

With regards to the Weather Seal, I was going to use it on the bare stone that was visible as there is some dampness at the back of the house, which I believe has been caused by a combination of cracked render, bad seals round the window and some exposed areas that were not covered with paint. Is this not necessary?

I will follow your advice and contact the supplier and ask them what there recommendation is regarding a sealer coat.

Where is the exposed stone, is it a plinth around the base, window frames or just decorative stones let into the corners of the building, a photo would help and no doubt get you a few more replies.:)

Sponsored Links
Yeah the exposed stone is just a lintel which runs from the top of the window to the bottom. It looks like it is made of concrete if I were to guess what kind of stone.

You mean this sort of thing either side of the window common in Victorian properties?

bay-window_68217_1.jpg

I would do the rest of the work ensure the frames are well sealed and see if it dries out in a few months, most stone will dry out after a soaking if you are totally convinced afterwards then you might consider waterproofing or painting with masonry paint (Seen them done in gloss but it will flake badly) but only as a last resort.

PS. Smooth masonry paint always looks whiter that textured because the texture creates small shadows that make it look dingy in any other light than straight on.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back