Painting a Rendered House - is it Diy or not ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
In the process of buying a house (built 89/90) which has all sides rendered from about 70cm's upwards. Looks in good condition no big cracks just a nasty colour.

Questions if I may as I have never owned a rendered house before and am a little concerned at the upkeep (regular painting etc).

1) DIY painting or get someone in? I'm happy to paint it but there is a garage that gets in the way of one side and a large conservatory at the back which takes up about 15ft so getting over these obstacles will be my issue.

2) What to use for repairing small cracks / loose render, mainly around the windows as some of them have been replaced and the render damaged when fitting.

3) Best paint - I am looking to put it back to White or near as but dont want to have to paint it every year, I've seen Dulux, Sandtex and a Johnstones.

4) Should I be saving to have it re rendered at some point or should it last.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Nasty Colour - has it never been painted :?: don`t start now then ;) It`ll be a millstone round your neck. Live with it , I do agree it looks C-Rap but use it to get it cheaper - then when you sell , present purchaser with an up to date quote for painting - price accordingly and let them paint it for evermore ;) Might even be coloured sand/cement to start with.. and no, it shouldn`t need re doing completely.

Thanks Nige,

It has been painted, several other properties on the development same house are all white and must admit they look alot better. This has been done in a dull yellow which makes it look dated.

Glad I wont need to remortgage for new render, like I say a few cracks around windows but they have been replaced and just not made good.

Cheers

My house is rendered/pebbledash on the 1st floor.When I bought it 14yrs ago it was a dirty grey colour
I lived with it for a few years and then about ten years ago painted it.Apart from where the cavity insulation was injected last year it stills looks as good as it did when I 1st did it.
I'm planning on doing it again in the next few weeks.
I'll have a look in the garage and see what paint I used because I still have some left

Sponsored Links
cheers,

just painting over the garage and conservatory would be a problem for a diy job, I guess a professional would use scaffolding.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back