painting front of house

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,
I am about to give the front of the house a new coat of white paint as it is looking a bit grey and nasty. However, the house is old (1860) and it has been rendered in the past and this render over the years has developed a few cracks. They are a little unsightly so I wonder if there is a special house/masonry paint that could cover these cracks. That would solve all my problems! (well nearly!)

Sponsored Links
Paint wont cover cracks. You need to rake them out and fill them. Toupret do a very good cement base external filler. Prime the filler with thinned masonary paint once applied, dried and rubbed down

Thank you dcdec!
What exactly do you mean by "rake them out"? How do you do that? I think I understand the rest and it is very helpful. Thanks again.

To rake out simply means to place a suitably sized screwdriver or similar object into the crack moving both up & down to rake out any loose masonry, also if the crack is hairline it's wise to open it out a little in order to offer the filler a greater bond. If working in direct sunshine it is wise to dampen down the area prior to application, Toupret also recommend to dampen again when the filler is dry to stop it powdering yet I have never felt the need to do this.

Dec

Sponsored Links
Thank you - you have been very clear and helpful. I will give it a go.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back