Painting outside of house - what paint to use?

OM2

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Half of the house is new build and has new basic rendering - this was finished 5 months ago.
The builder said we need to let settle first and then paint.

The other half is a nice finished rendering with patterns. Nothing needed - but to match, I want to paint the same colour - currently a mild beige.

I've been told Sandtex is the brand to go for.
But I was told on the new rendering, I should apply PVA (I think that's what is was called).

In B&Q, the paint 'expert' woman said to me: new rendering doesn't need PVA - just slap on the paint and everything will be fine. (She said she did a recent property like this! And appeared to be knowing what she was talking about.)

ALSO: should I use a pressure washer to wash dirt off? If not, what should I use? After washing, how long should I wait for it to dry before painting?

ALSO: should I keep an eye out for the weather forecast before painting?? Or will I be OK after a few hours of paint being applied?

ALSO: The wanted to go for the smooth paint. The rendering isn't smooth and is more similar to the grainy version of the same paint you can get. Am I OK getting smooth? Or should I stick to grainy paint to match the rendering?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Do not use PVA.

It will prevent the paint from soaking in to the render. It will also slow down drying times and you may find the paint slides down. Just dilute the first coat with water (normally a 9 to 1 ratio).

You can use a pressure washer, just make sure that you don't lift the old paint off. Once it feels dry it is ok to paint.

Masonry paint is showerproof after an hour or two but if affected by the temperature. At this time of the year the dew starts to fall just after 4 or 5 pm. You want the paint to be touch dry before then. Later in the year, you will need to finish even earlier in the day, ideally when the temperature is over 5 degrees centigrade and unlikely to drop below that for the next 8ish hours.

Water based paints cure through evaporation and the particles fuse together through a process known as coalescence. If the water in the paint freezes or there is more water added by dew the paint may fail.

In adverse weather conditions you can use oil based pliolite
masonry paints. They are shower resistant in 20 mins and can be used below 5 degrees.

Smooth paint should be fine, it is also easier to keep clean.

Last edited:
@opps i'm sooo confused now!
i was going to buy PVA and use as first coat
not sure what to do!

ALSO... how long do i need to wait after washing before painting?
thanks!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back