Outside sink pipe broken

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hello all,

I have had a leak and found out it is the pipe that goes from the bathroom sink to the main drain that is broken. Please see pictures below.

the breaks at the red arrows are total, has snapped at the joints it seems.

how easy is this to fix? what pipes would I need, as I looked in B&Q and could not work it out, pipe seems to be 1.5" thick.

spipe3.jpg

spipe1.jpg

Thanks
Darren

Sponsored Links
Looks like you have a 40mm (1.5") solvent weld pipe there, but if its snapped at the joint then I would suspect the entire external section may need replacing. It has probably gone brittle over time, attempting to cut it could cause it to shatter or split further. Even if that did work i'd be concerned about trying to 'spring' a new piece in in case that caused the remainder to break. By all means try, but you may not be successful. :(

Other issue is the joint into the strap boss, removing the existing pipe and fitting a new section may cause the joint to leak. Renewing the boss isn't going to be straightforward so may need to 'bodge' the joint where new pipe enters boss with some silicon.

As Hugh suggests. You can convert a straight coupling to a slip ring by filing out the centre stops but this would make using glue hard on a solvent weld so you'll probably be wise to use a compression fitting.

think I am going to get the whole thing replaced, guess i need to call a plumber?

as the whole pipe is flaky so does not look great either!

thanks for all the advice
Darren

Sponsored Links
Sorry, realised after i'd posted that you'd said it was from the sink. Shouldn't be major job to replace, but I am wondering if it reduces somewhere before the sink, as basin wastes are usually 32mm (1.25").

It's DIYable depending on your skills. Need a new section of pipe, bends as required, glue if using solvent weld, and possibly a bit of silicone.

what is the part called that connects the small pipe to the big pipe, as if I am going to replace the lot I only want to replace up to that point.

thanks
Darren

It's a strap boss. Pipe should just pull out of it, you wont be able to do anything with it, it's glued to the 4" pipe. The rubber seal is probably perished, so when you fit the new pipe (it should push back in), i'd run a bead of silicone round the joint, (protect it with some polythene for a day or 2 to allow it to cure so it doesnt get wet).

If it still leaks then wrap some Denso tape round the joint. Doesnt look very pretty, and is filthy stuff to handle, (disposable gloves recommended!), but will do the job! ;)

all done, did it my self in the end

the pipes were all plastic including the strap boss, so just got new ones, they came off easily.

pipe_fixed.jpg

btw, all the pipes we rotten so i replaced them all right up to the sink, they were very brittle!

thanks for all the advice

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back