Outside socket installation

Don't know if you are allowed to use a DP switch on a RFC, I think they are built to a different British Standard number as to those allowed by reg 433.1.103 or any given in appx 15
Ooh- that's a 'clever' one :) You are technically correct - in which case you'd better be telling that those in this forum and elsewhere who often advise an 'indoors' DP switch for outside sockets supplied from ring finals! As for how sensible it is to distinguish between a DP switch and an FCU is this way is something I will leave you to ponder!

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
Don't know if you are allowed to use a DP switch on a RFC, I think they are built to a different British Standard number as to those allowed by reg 433.1.103 or any given in appx 15
Technically by the wording of the regulations you may be correct but we have discussed this before.

I think it was the consensus that the fact that 20A DP switches can be used on a radial but not a ring made no sense or difference therefore it cannot be what is meant.

I think it was the consensus that the fact that 20A DP switches can be used on a radial but not a ring made no sense or difference therefore it cannot be what is meant.
That's the common sense. Unfortunately, I don't think that "makes no sense" and "therefore it cannot be what is meant" (by the regs) necessarily always go together!

A switch of any sort obviously cannot be allowed 'in the ring' of a ring final, since that would be dangerous, so we would only be talking about switches in spurs.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
Thanks everyone for your suggestions - I have now connected it by connecting the set of wires from the house into one of the sockets then running cables from one socket to the other, as one of you suggested. Working fine. Thanks again :cool:

Hi, can anyone please help?.....................
My electrician has left cables ready to be attached to an outside socket. I've purchased a double socket but it requires 2 sets of wires - 1 for each socket on it. How can I attach it bearing in mind I have only 1 set coming thru the wall? :confused:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back