outside socket

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
can i take a switched spur of a ring main, and then connect to a outside socket, directly onto the outside wall. as i will be using a ring main from the living room do i need to inform BC.

Do i have to inform BC for a like for like in a kitchen. no alterations or new circuits. a bit of a catch 22

Sponsored Links
The outside socket is notifiable. Like for like in kitchen is generally not so.

You may not need a RCD spur as suggested if your fuseboard already has RCD protection on the ring final circuit you plan to tap off. If just one double socket straight through wall and definately off the ring alone then a switched spur is superfluous. You can go straight to the socket.

Testing is another matter...

It is well worth supplying the outside socket via double pole switch / isolator and 13 amp or lower fuse inside the house.

[1] prevents someone else using power when you are away from the house.

[2] if the outside socket is damaged and trips MCB and/or RCD it can be quickly and safely isolated to allow the ring main to be re-energised.

Sponsored Links
thanks guys, gonna be busy in a week or 2, watch out women with a drill :LOL:

does any one know where i can find the breaking capacity (Ka) for the old type fuses of 3036, and what type do they come under for eg:

BS(EN) 3036 Type? rating 30a 15a 5a and then the breaking capacity of each rating? i have looked the the osg but having a blonde moment

Do i have to inform BC for a like for like in a kitchen. no alterations or new circuits

The phrase "like for like" is often heard with reference to replacements, but in fact doesn't appear in the list of exemptions at all. The relevant exemption is:

1. Work consisting of—

(a) replacing any fixed electrical equipment which does not include the provision of—

(i) any new fixed cabling, or

(ii) a consumer unit;
http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2010/2214/schedule/4/made

So a replacement doesn't have to be "like for like" (whatever that's actually supposed to mean anyway), just not involve the provision of any new fixed cabling or a consumer unit.

does any one know where i can find the breaking capacity (Ka) for the old type fuses of 3036
It varies. It's often 3kA (e.g. the Wylex Standard range), but there were some types of BS3036 fuses made which could be as low as 1kA.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back