Outside tap - angle/water-tightness

I had this once, I made the mistake of cramming the tap to get that last fraction of a turn and all seemed OK.

Until 5am the next morning, we were awoken to a noise outside. I looked out of the window and my garden was literally like a paddy field with water gushing out like a fire hydrant. The tap had obviously been weakened and eventually blew off.

It's a 90-year-old Bungalow with the tap connected before the house, so no stop-cock except the supply main and there was I trying to water-tight the connection with odds and ends of connectors before I went to work to enable the Wife to have some water during the day.
All outside taps should have an isolation valve INSIDE the property. Would have saved you a lot of hassle there ;) .

I always fit an isolation valve but no one ever bothers to turn it off (me included).

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back