Outside tap - swap from hot to cold?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

For some reason the outside tap at my house is plumbed into the hot water supply and I want to plumb it into the cold.

I have had a look where the tap is spurred off from on the hot water pipe and right below it is a cold water pipe so is it just a simple job of turning the water off, taking the T join out of the hot one, cutting the cold water pipe and putting it in there and then putting a straight through join in the hot water pipe or have I got more to think about ie is air getting into the system going to cause problems?

Just in case it matters I've got a combi boiler.

Thanks,
Dan

Sponsored Links
It will pretty much be that simple, any air will come out when you turn the taps on as long as you don't leave a dead leg on the hot, if you do it as you've said you won't leave a dead leg, if you have an open vent system there is a small risk of air lock, do you have a tank in the loft ? what numpty connected it to the hot

The Pegler 141HUEC hose union bib tap is available with either a red or a blue indice for hot or cold, so not that unusual.

Sponsored Links
I've plumbed mine into the hot, because hot water washes better than cold, so must be a numpty :LOL: you have a combi so just turn it off. Hey presto cold water.

true classic car owners don`t wash with hot :LOL: they only use cold - finish with a chammy and hand polish in straight lines the way the car goes. But that`s for proper cellulose paint - many have 2 pack resprays . Look like bloody dinky cars, too shiny :evil: The real numpty uses fairy liquid

Nothing wrong with hot outside tap, it all depends what purpose it was installed for, I have an outside tap on a blending valve so I can wash my dog down outside

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back