Outside variable lighting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello folks,

I'd like some lighting under our eaves but I want them to be subtle and not bright until someone walks into the drive. We have a single light by our front door that does that but I want advice on a chain of maybe four.

Any ideas? I'm in the UK

Cheers folks :)

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
There is nothing to say it is active inferred sensing I would assume it is passive inferred or PIR for short. I admit "triggered by movement" does not describe passive inferred it should say "triggered by movement of a hot object" but come on we know what they mean without spelling it out.

Yes Eric, but I believe BAS was pointing out that there isn't a beam being broken as stated by securespark.

I see the pedants are still running rife. I don't come here often nowadays, thankfully.

5 posts correcting the first reply to the OP, is it any wonder people get scared away?

Anyway, Could you have one or two lights set to come on through the hours of darkness or on a timer (say 3w LEDs), then the remaining lights (say 5w LEDs?) triggered by a PIR. This would give a nice soft glow most of the time, then a bright light when needed.

I see the pedants are still running rife. I don't come here often nowadays, thankfully.
Feel free to make that "I don't come here ever".

5 posts correcting the first reply to the OP, is it any wonder people get scared away?
But before you go, would you please:

a) Show which 5 posts you mean

b) Whilst being logical and rational, explain why correcting a post so that someone asking a question doesn't get incorrect information will scare them away.

OK I have to admit no beam is broken with passive inferred and yes pointing out how the unit works may help. With mine it does not come on when I reverse into the drive but does when my wife drives in forward simply as the radiator is in the front of the car. It does however come on as I open the door and it sees the heat from my body. Walking across the detection area works better than walking straight at it.

I bought a very cheap unit from Aldi or my wife did actually and said fit this. I used a 5W LED tube there is a post showing pictures of the light output. At £3 for a stand alone PIR/daylight switch which were sold in Lidi then 3 days for the PIR to pay for its self. So yes worth having a PIR. When mine was first fitted the street lamp was orange and as some one came up the drive you could see the change from orange to white light. However now street lamp is white so can't tell from inside the house when the light comes on.

If you want to be alerted when some one triggers the PIR then may be better without back ground light.

Anyway, Could you have one or two lights set to come on through the hours of darkness or on a timer (say 3w LEDs), then the remaining lights (say 5w LEDs?) triggered by a PIR. This would give a nice soft glow most of the time, then a bright light when needed.

Maybe so. So why have you put an upper case letter on the second word of a sentence?

QUOTE:
Anyway, Could you have one or two lights set to come on through the hours of darkness or on a timer

Feel free to make that "I don't come here ever".
Any need for this? I had prepared a sarcastic response to this involving a picture of a bell, and the word "end". But I don't want banning today thanks. Didn't you once leave permanently, stating you wouldn't be back, ever? Then you came back . . . to annoy everyone.

3 posts correcting the first reply to the OP, is it any wonder people get scared away?
But before you go, would you please:

a) Show which 3 posts you mean
4, 5, 6. :D:rolleyes::whistle:(y)

b) Whilst being logical and rational, explain why correcting a post so that someone asking a question doesn't get incorrect information will scare them away.
Hmm, now where is the OP? He hasn't been back, has he?

Anyway, Could you have one or two lights set to come on through the hours of darkness or on a timer (say 3w LEDs), then the remaining lights (say 5w LEDs?) triggered by a PIR.
Yes.
I know you could.

That's why I said it.

It was a rhetorical question, not requiring a response.

I was simply giving the OP an idea.

But I suspect due to the level of pedantry on this thread he won't be back.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back