Outside wall hole

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had a bathroom moved from a room downstairs to upstairs. The guy who done it left a number of unsightly holes (from pipes). I managed to fill them up with mortar mix. The one pictures was from were the air vent was. I filled it up with expanding foam (horrible but effective stuff) and sanded it down from the outside. My problem is however that when I applied a mortar mix (the ad water to a bag kind from b and q) it feels spongy where the expanding foam is. I don't k ow wether it's the mix I got (I have read really bad reviews) or the fact that mortar won't adhere to the expanding foam. I plan to paint the wall in the summer but was wondering what I should do about this bit?cant afford to get anyone out. Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    91.6 KB · Views: 113
Sponsored Links
Is the mortar in the pic merely a skim over?
Is the plugged hole in the pic on the outside of the wall or the inside?
Is the wall solid or cavity?

Is the mortar in the pic merely a skim over?
Is the plugged hole in the pic on the outside of the wall or the inside?
Is the wall solid or cavity?

The hole went from the inside to the outside. I had the inside hole filled with plaster and then use the expanding foam to insulate. The foam came to the outside and I sanded it down to make it plum with the outside wall. I then used the mortar mix to skim over it thinking it would harden. I believe it's a cavity wall.

Sponsored Links
With respect, let me take this from the start:

You must be certain what kind of wall you have - loose mortar or foam in a cavity could cause bridging and that could bring its own problems.
I wouldn't have used foam or attempted insulation unless there was existing CWI.

I would have used chopped down brick bits & some mortar on the inside - doing a little build up at a time.
When its set up, say 24 hrs, then plaster patch to match existing.

On the outside I would have removed whatever was necessary to insert a few bricks or half bricks, properly laid and pointed up. Render or dashed render if necessary to match as best as possible.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back