Small hole in ceiling - expanding foam?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Old electric shower removed. In hallway there is a hole in corner of ceiling where the mains cable ran into loft. When I removed it the area aroound was just filled with caulk i think and some paper in a ball. Wasn't great finish.

I also have another hole in the bathroom from where the pipe and mains ran down to old shower unit.

Was thinking of just using a bit of expanding foam and filling with patching plaster ? Will this work? Or would you recommend anything else?

Local merchant has Jetcem Quick Set Patching Plaster
- http://www.everbuild.co.uk/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=696 - which I was going to use for other repair jobs and smoothing out walls and cracks etc in the hallway and thinking of using this onto an expanding foam such as this - http://www.everbuild.co.uk/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=50.

Only thing with the patching plaster it says "Only use on porous surfaces. Do not apply over plastics, sealants, paints or primers." Does that mean it will not work on the foam stuff? Foam can says you can plaster over the foam stuff. Bit confused.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
You will end up with a massive ball of foam under your floor!:)
Simply cut a bit of wood / hardboard (plasterboard on larger holes) whatever, the same width but longer that you can slip through end wise. Drill two holes in it pass some string through so the uncut ends hang down put a nice big splodge of "no nails" or similar adhesive on each end. slip it in and use the string to pull it flat to glue against the back of the hole.
Leave it to go off pull out the string and then fill the depth of the ceiling against the wood with a standard filler like polycell.
You may find it easier to increase the size of the hole slightly to give a bit more room to work.;)

Another suggestion similar to footprints above... place the piece of hardboard over the hole inside the loft, and have someone hold it there while you screw into it through the plasterboard from the room below, thus fixing it in place. Then fill it to level - either by screwing a piece of gyproc into the missing part then filling to level, or filling to level with filler.

Sponsored Links
As previously commented tho I used board with a one or two screws in it to pull on and pass thru hole with coating of no nails pull down for short while leave to set then one coat plaster over

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back