Expanding foam over electrical socket!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi chaps

I had an extra socket from an existing one on my ring already

I just had fitted wardrobes put in and I didn't realise he took the skirting board out to ensure units were straight standing

Ideally he would have bonded wall again at minimum. But Just put units up

I domt like gaps incase I get mice so I asked him to put foam

But now I'm worried it may cause a fire as it's gone on the cable too :(

Please can anybody advise?

The foam is ever build ...

http://www.everbuild.co.uk/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=50

Attachments

• IMG_9078.JPG
    IMG_9078.JPG
    106.8 KB · Views: 531
  • IMG_9088.JPG
    IMG_9088.JPG
    106 KB · Views: 460
  • IMG_9085.JPG
    IMG_9085.JPG
    77.7 KB · Views: 516
Sponsored Links
Why is there a cable? Did you just run an extension from the socket or was it chased in the wall and ... properly?

In the photos, you can only see a cable and not the socket?

Also, Did you know there is a limit of how many spurs ( which I assume this is what you have done) you can take from the ring main?

If the cable is now encased in foam then yes there is a danger of overheating - though you don't need to panic.
If the cable is in contact with foam but its other side is fixed to or pushed up against the wall then it is probably OK.

Why is there a cable? Did you just run an extension from the socket or was it chased in the wall and ... properly?

In the photos, you can only see a cable and not the socket?

Also, Did you know there is a limit of how many spurs ( which I assume this is what you have done) you can take from the ring main?

Yes he pulled it off the main socket - there are actually 2 pulled off the main (And only socket in the room)

So basically you have

Main socket by window on other side of room ........ then socket 1 pulled of main socket by chimney breast ..... then socket 2 pulled off socket 1 on the other side of room I.e. The wire you see I'm the pic

As you can see it isn't chased in just a loose wire

It was initially cabled clipped to the skirting board behind the old wardrobe but now it's fitted he took the skirting board out ...

Sponsored Links
Hope this helps

The "loose" cables are not chased in a specific mentioned
The were initially cabled clip but as there no more skirting boards behind the new wardrobes they are in the recess part of the new cupboards as per the first post picture...

Please I appreciate any advice to make this safe as possible

I have rcd protected main consumer unit downstairs btw

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    109.8 KB · Views: 248
Yes he pulled it off the main socket
Who did? The wardrobe fitter?

- there are actually 2 pulled off the main (And only socket in the room)

So basically you have

Main socket by window on other side of room ........ then socket 1 pulled of main socket by chimney breast ..... then socket 2 pulled off socket 1 on the other side of room I.e. The wire you see I'm the pic

As you can see it isn't chased in just a loose wire

It was initially cabled clipped to the skirting board behind the old wardrobe but now it's fitted he took the skirting board out ...
What do you mean (i.e. what do you think was done) by the term "pulled off"?

This:

screenshot_1158.jpg

looks like you might have an unfused spur with two sockets on it, so yes, a cable with a potential load of 26A or more and a current carrying capacity of about half that is indeed something to be concerned about.

looks like you might have an unfused spur with two sockets on it, so yes, a cable with a potential load of 26A or more and a current carrying capacity of about half that is indeed something to be concerned about.

Sorry I'm not very technical so don't know what any of this means.
What's a spur?

By pulled off I mean he used the initial (and only) socket in the room.....to give me two new sockets by pulling a feed or cable (terminology?) off initial socket

These are pics of the initial / main socket ....

In the last one I have drawn 3 arrows...to what look like electrical cables

But it's funny because only one wire comes out of the initial main socket and travels to the chimney breast socket
And then another wire from chimney breast to other side of room ...

Not 2 out of the main socket to feed the 2 respective new sockets
So not sure why there are 3 sockets to be fair

Attachments

• IMG_9095.PNG
    IMG_9095.PNG
    434.2 KB · Views: 356
  • IMG_9096.PNG
    IMG_9096.PNG
    443 KB · Views: 328
  • IMG_9094.PNG
    IMG_9094.PNG
    480.5 KB · Views: 365
  • IMG_9098.PNG
    IMG_9098.PNG
    422 KB · Views: 318
That foam will do nothing for mice

The wiring is pretty old and there is no Earth sleving shown

If a flex has a bit of foam on it it' s probably ok but depends on the plastics used
But covered is different

Ok so it seems I need 2 questions answered pleas gentlemen

1) is the foam over the loose cabling dangerous ...? Not sure we've had a clear answer yet on this??

2) is the electrical wiring done correctly. By regulations probably not as there are 2 sockets pulled off 1 on the ring.....?

However can I just say that from additional socket 1 (by the chimney), I had a 4 way gangway lead powering my pc printer etc
From additional socket 2, (opposite side of window) I had ANOTHER 4 way gangway power to PlayStation sky box.

Furthermore. From the initial / main socket- I had yet another 6 way gangway - and I used to charge my phone handsfeee bedside lamp all from this......

Nothing ever "tripped" as they say

So is it ok? I guess that's what I really need to know please .....

Attached are some new photos I took of the main / initial / ring socket

Last pic showing the cable that goes towards additionalmsocket 1. And then have a cable from there to additional socket 2.

Attachments

• IMG_9126.JPG
    IMG_9126.JPG
    58.9 KB · Views: 181
  • IMG_9127.JPG
    IMG_9127.JPG
    58.7 KB · Views: 235
  • IMG_9128.JPG
    IMG_9128.JPG
    54.8 KB · Views: 235
  • IMG_9129.JPG
    IMG_9129.JPG
    53.8 KB · Views: 224

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back