Halogens held in by expanding foam!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The previous owner of our house installed main halogen spots in the kitchen and because the ceiling isnt in the best of shape it looks like he had some difficulty putting them in. As a result, there are large rings of expanding foam around each fitting in the loft. Where they have got hot, the foam is turning brown.

Should they come out or should I remove the foam? I have hoods to put on them after.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Polyurethane foam gets darker just with exposure to air and sunlight so it might not be getting dangerously hot.

Some downlighters are rated to be fitted in inflammable surfaces, and some are not.

Smoke hoods are designed to stop flames spreading from a room below to a room above. In general they are likely to make your lamps hotter by restricting ventilation. They are not designed to contain fires started by the lamp itself, though I suppose they might.

however if the expanding foam is acting as insulation, depending on the downlight it could overheat!

but if i'ts been in this long, think u will be ok

i would certainly remove the foam, if at all it should have the fire hood on, but this is not a regulation unless the builder specifies a fire rating barrier is required.

Sponsored Links
Tried to find hoods for mine, but failed to find supplier !
I'll leave now before the mod thinks I've asked a supply question :arrow:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back