Can I put expanding foam around water pipe work ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have some water pipe that go up through the ceiling into the loft from the bathroom, there is quite a large gap around the pipes as the hole in the ceiling were cut too large, its resulting in steam getting into the loft.

Is it ok for me to use expanding foam from a can to fill these gaps up, not being an expert in these matters I wondering if the pipes actually need some space around them to expand (think one might be for hot water) ?

thanks

Sponsored Links
That would be fine in my opinion. Block as much of the holes up as you can and apply the foam from above.

Foam can be VERY messy if you get it all over the place. Wear gloves and cover anything vulnerable below.

Thanks, also I have another question.

I have an airing cupboard with the hot water tank in the cupboard in the bathroom in the cupboard again I can see old holes from old removed pipes going straight into the roof. The door to the airing cupboard has an approx 1cm gap at the top so again steam from the bathroom is getting into the airing cupboard and into the loft. Do you think the gap at the top of the cupboard door is there on purpose for some kind of ventaliation of is it ok for me to make adjustments / replace the door to close the gap up ?

thanks

Expanding foam is supposedly corrosive to copper pipes.

Sponsored Links
Expanding foam is supposedly corrosive to copper pipes.

Yeah I read that just now seems to be different opinions though on this, just to be on the safe side though I'm recon I will use paper mashie to fill most of the gap and then cover with some sealant, its not in a visible area so appearance doesn't mater.

Pipe-Collars_large.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back