Relining a ceiling - direction of joists

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to reline a ceiling because the surface - previously covered in polystyrene tiles - is so bad. The shape of the room, hallway, would suit laying the boards long edge along the joists. Not the best way to do it but I wonder if anyone has any advice? Should I go ahead or just accept more wastage and more joints and lay it in the "right" direction?
I was thinking about using foam adhesive since the joist spacing is quite large. Is it any good?
http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Adh...l+Foam+Fix+Gun+Grade+750ml/d180/sd2857/p60449

Sponsored Links
The foam adhesive is for the walls not ceilings!
Stick to the proper method of have your but end joint of plasterboard meeting at joist, not putting them up sidewards.
There is a reason why they are done that way, as your board was a bonded edge along the length to give it extra strength.
Very rarely would there be much difference in wastage.
Locate joist and screw up every 6-8 inch along joists.
And stagger joints

I wasn't going to use foam on its own, but as extra support. I normally use closer than 8 inch spacing along the joists but as the joists are 600mm (24") spacing I thought there might be some sag. I will be coving to give some support at the edges; and will use 12.5mm board.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back