Filling ceiling/floor space with soundproofing in flat

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am improving a cheapo 1970s flat conversion in an Edwardian terraced house.
The noise of the occupants' footsteps upstairs are very apparent downstairs together with squeaking from ill-fitted floorboards following central-heating installers' sloppy work.
I propose lifting and refitting/repairing the floorboards and filling the floor/ceiling gap with Wickes 30mm heavy density slab insulation (WHDSI), which I have used on the party walls to great effect.
However, the plaster-and-lath ceilings have already shown signs of age-related instability with chunks dropping off, and I'm wondering whether the plaster-and-lath could be made more stable with a lightweight spraying of the NN expanding foam that Screwfix sell. I'm thinking of a good wedge down each joist-to-plaster line, followed by a thick-ish covering of the exposed plaster-and-lath backside.
I have used this foam before, and it cures rigid and seems pretty clingy to any material with which it makes contact.
I'm thinking this cured foam 'cradle' secured to the joists by the foam's adhesive properties could then support some layers of WHDSI as a sound blocker without the fear of compromising the integrity of the ceiling below i.e. not having a collapse on my hands!
Any one who has used spray foam in this regard who can pass on experience of the lateral strength of the cured product, or indeed, who has a related solution to the audio isolation problems posed by old ceilings I would be grateful to hear from you.

Sponsored Links
I can't give you a specific answer but do consider fire hazards. You mustn't use any material that is flammable or that generates noxious fumes in the event of a fire.

Could you fit a false ceiling with soundproofing above it?

Squeaky floorboards can usually be fixed by using screws but don't puncture any pipes.

Thanks for that alert. I was really thinking on how to support the weight of the Wickes solid heavy insulation slabs (rated FIRE CLASS A1) in the cavity without passing on any appreciable stress to the plaster and lath beneath.
Obviously NN Expanding Foam is a no-no - see below*
My secondary option was to fill the cavity with light-weight loft-type fiberglass insulation, but I understand that the sound deadening properties of this are barely worth the effort of prising up and replacing the floorboards.

Still got a problem without a solution.

*(quote)
REVISION DATE: 24-04-2007
NO NONSENSE FIRE RATED EXPANDING FOAM
CONDITIONS TO AVOID
Avoid heat, flames and other sources of ignition. Avoid contact with: Strong oxidising agents.
HAZARDOUS DECOMPOSITION PRODUCTS
Fire creates: Vapours/gases/fumes of: Carbon monoxide (CO). Carbon dioxide (CO2). Hydrogen chloride (HCl). Hydrogen cyanide
(HCN). Nitrous gases (NOx).

Comment:
(Double Glazing boys use this stuff all the time around brickwork gaps - is this a fire-related calamity yet to occur?)

Sponsored Links
Thanks, guys - you've set me thinking.

The fire warnings of toxic gas production would seem to rule out any use in domestic indoor applications, but as I said, DG installers use cans of the stuff on window surrounds indoors.

I'm going to have to get a definite answer on the cured properties of this stuff from the manufacturers.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back