Cooker hood bulbs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hopefully a quick question for you guys.

Moved into our new house last week and I'm slowly working my way around everything and I noticed when cooking the other night that the light from our cooker hood is rubbish and figured the lens covers must be greased up so I've removed them today to wash and found the previous owner has put a couple of 11W CFLs in the cooker hood which possibly explains why the light is crap.

I'm big on minimising wattage when it comes to bulbs but with cooking I think it deserves proper light so will likely put a couple of halogen bulbs back in.

However, all it says on the cooker hood is 40W max. It says this on each lens cover, and on the centre of the cover.

What I'm trying to figure out is if this means combined (it has two bulbs) or each. If it had just been on the lens covers I would have assumed each, but since it's on the cover aswell I'm not so sure. Customer services are in Italy so doubt I'll get much help from them in a hurry so thought I'd see what you lot think.

Can I stick a couple of 26W (or even higher) halogen bulbs in it or is that going to be too much? Without any further details (paperwork and no further data on the spec panel) is there any way I can work it out?

Appreciate your help!

Cheers

Kristian

Sponsored Links
It means 40watt each lamp.The lamps being general tungsten filament lamps.
The wattage limit is usually because the old GLS lamps gave off most of their energy as heat rather than light.

Unless these are the capless halogen bulbs which I assume they are not as you seem to be saying a regular cfl bulb bayonet or screwed has been fitted
I would avoid halogen as they run very hot. old tunsten type bulbs in a clear glass would have been the most likely fitment.

Have you tried putting inthe model number on google and user or fitting instructions? Might just clear up your question, about wattage.

Or simply post the question with the model number on a few sites someone else must have the same one.

footprints

Sponsored Links
I just looked again (properly!) and found a UK phone number so I just called and spoke to their tech dept who told me it's definitely 40W per bulb max and that it's fine to use halogen or CFL whichever I prefer.

Sorry guys, it's right at the top of the unit so I couldn't make it out before until I started looking for a model number.

Cheers to both of you anyway!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back