Expanding foam over electrical socket!!

Sponsored Links
The earth wires need properly sleeving and connecting to the earth terminal of the socket (urgently!). As everything is looking rather poor at the moment, I would strongly recommend calling an electrician (not a builder!) who will be able to tidy everything up properly. If there is more of this style of wiring, a full electrical condition report should be carried out on all the wiring.

whssign.gif
whssign.gif
whssign.gif

Hopefully this looks better had someone come round and sort the main socket

And also fit a fused connector

So it goes main socket / fused connector / extra socket 1 / extra socket 2

:)

Attachments

• IMG_9156.JPG
    IMG_9156.JPG
    102.8 KB · Views: 155
  • IMG_9157.JPG
    IMG_9157.JPG
    90 KB · Views: 138
Sponsored Links
Hopefully this looks better had someone come round and sort the main socket

And also fit a fused connector

So it goes main socket / fused connector / extra socket 1 / extra socket 2

:)

What's happening with that cable out of the bottom of the double socket? Is that the finished job?

You mean they grey one that runs along top of the skirting board and to the fused connector?

Going to get some d line trunking

If you mean another cable please can you let me know which one mate?

Don't put them in the same trunking as the electrical cable.

That FCU is in a daft place, BTW.

What is the risk of putting them in same trunking may I ask?

They are actually going to be going in the opposite direction but would like to know :)

The fcu I didn't want on show. So thought best place to put it is under wardrobe and it will all get hidden by a front panel anyway......

Only really see fcu in a kitchen!

I only added it as many people said TWO spurs was too much from one socket without a fcu.
It actually had TWO without fcu for last 15 years and there has been no issue lol

What is the risk of putting them in same trunking may I ask?
The risk is, to be fair, pretty small. But the Wiring Regulations prohibit the mixing of cables of different voltage bands unless they are all insulated for the highest voltage present, and those TV cables won't be.

The fcu I didn't want on show. So thought best place to put it is under wardrobe and it will all get hidden by a front panel anyway......
a) I can't see how it qualifies as accessible for inspection and testing

b)It will be a PITA to get to if the fuse ever goes, and when you sell the house FGS leave a note for the new owners to tell them it's there.

Only really see fcu in a kitchen!
That's not the case.

I only added it as many people said TWO spurs was too much from one socket without a fcu.
It actually had TWO without fcu for last 15 years and there has been no issue lol
And I could have made every car journey in the last 15 years (much longer in fact) with no seat belts or airbags and (ignoring possible prosecutions) there would have been no issues.

But I didn't, and I won't.

Lol fair points

I got the d line trunking and the panel at the bottom that will cover it will be open able not glued down so should be ok to get to

I tried make it as co pliant as possible,

I was more worried by the foam on the electrical cable than the spurs tbh as they have worked without fcu for years but anyway best I could get it too now

Not planning to use those in bedroom lol

I even had extension leads on both spurs before powering pc tower monitored speakers printer scanner and another extension tv PlayStation etc was fine

But safety first

I even had extension leads on both spurs before powering pc tower monitored speakers printer scanner and another extension tv PlayStation etc was fine

Those things all together use only a fraction of what a kettle would take. There is no problem connecting them with extension leads, except perhaps for the hazard of tripping over them.

The "worst case" to imagine is when your central heating packs up midwinter and you start using electric heaters borrowed from friends - and wake up in the middle of the night to the smell of burning cables.

So just to be clear

Fan heater is ok on main ring sockets

Ok on my spurs now that I have a fcu after the main ring socket and before the 2 spurs....?

But not ok without the fcu ? Or any extension lead? Even if connected to main ring socket?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back