outside wall light bulb position?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am putting a new outside light on the wall.
The light bought in Spain and made in China
The instructions in Spanish say:

cuando el aplique sea montado en una paraed, la bombilla debe situarse en posicion hacia arriba nunca hacia abajo.

Which translates as 'when fitting to a wall the bulb must be up and never down'

So does this mean when I position the round light casing on the wall the connection bit and cables will be at the bottom and the bulb will screw in there so it will be upright when you look at it? Or should it be hanging down like a normal ceiling light would?
I don;t know a lot about electricty but always follow instructions but to my mind this means if there was water ingress it would drip down into the connections.

Sponsored Links
So does this mean when I position the round light casing on the wall the connection bit and cables will be at the bottom and the bulb will screw in there so it will be upright when you look at it?

Si senor.

Probably to do with the heat from the lamp not over heating the connections.

I always thought it was the other way around - the connections went at the top; something to do with the way heat circulates around the bulb, but also if the filament breaks it will fall into the glass bulb and not back onto the electrical part, meaning the breaker is less likely to trip.

Candle lamps go the other way up.

Sponsored Links
Back