oven connection

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, am wiring in a new oven rated at 3.78kw and have a dedicated fuse on the house switch board with 40 amp cabling. believe I should fit a 20 amp DP isolator neon switch and then junction box to the oven lead. Problem is all the cooker switches I've seen are rated at 40 amp. suggestions?

Sponsored Links
The rating of the switch is the maximum current that the switch contacts can carry so a 40 or even 50amp switch is perfectly OK.

I would use a 40amp cooker switch so the switch is OK if the cooker is changed at some later date.

PS it does not need a neon indicator if you do not want one.

Thanks for your info,managed to find a 20 amp isolater switch so have fitted it and all is well. H

Bear in mind that the fuse/mcb in the consumer unit is much more than 20amp, so an overload will fry your switch.

Getting those thick 6mm² conductors into the switch terminals will be a challenge too.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your info,managed to find a 20 amp isolater switch so have fitted it and all is well. H
You would have been better off taking the advice of Taylortwocities and fitting a higher rated control switch, the standard ones are 45A this will have kept you well covered for overload or upgrade.
Also I would recommend an "outlet plate" for the second connection rather than a junction box.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back