Oven element - red hot

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

So a (arguably old) Neff electric oven "came with the house" which i decided to keep until it fails, before replacing.

The other day it stopped producing heat so i ordered a new element and replaced it myself, as a cheap fix. When turning the oven on, it did smell (like burning) for a few minutes which i presume has to do with the element being new. When heating the oven up, i can see the element turning red hot (through the back plate). Once it reaches the temperature its supposed to reach it stops glowing, which i take is a good sign.

This seems logical to me but just wanted some re-assurance as the old element didn't glow red and i am now wondering if its overheating due to the fan or otherwise...

Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
The fan is spinning Learningspark.

Bernard, that's what I am worried about. But it only glows when its heating up, similar to the grill, which is making me think that thats how its supposed to be. Hopefull thinking perhaps.

I have a Neff Circotherm and there has never been a noticable glow from the element.

The previous Neff Circotherm also did not have a noticable glow, that is until the fan died.

The grill is intended to glow to be able to produce enough radiant heat to cook the food

I have a Neff Circotherm and there has never been a noticable glow from the element.

The previous Neff Circotherm also did not have a noticable glow, that is until the fan died.

The grill is intended to glow to be able to produce enough radiant heat to cook the food

Many thanks for the quick reply. I thought as much, so mine must be overheating.

Why is that not a fire risk?
Quite so - and as for oven elements which don't get quite hot enough to radiate visible light, but which nevertheless get hot enough to heat an oven to high operating temperatures, are they not also a 'fire risk'?

Kind Regards, John

Why is that not a fire risk?

All grills are a fire risk, but when the element is designed to be a griller the way it is mounted allows for ( relatively ) free movement of air around it.
The element in a fan oven is fitted in a confined space and therefor relies on the fan for forced air movement.

What is it about oven elements that allow some to get hotter than others?

Haven't thought about it before.
I was tempted to reply to the OP last night and say all is well. Would I have been wrong?

P.S. gas ovens are on fire.

What is it about oven elements that allow some to get hotter than others? Haven't thought about it before.
Nor have I, really. I suppose the simple and short answer has to be "the thermostat".
I was tempted to reply to the OP last night and say all is well. Would I have been wrong?
Similarly here. I suppose that bernard's point (and the OPs concern) is that if a particular element is designed, controlled and installed/contained in such a manner that it is not intended to become 'red hot' in normal use, then if it is replaced by one which does get red hot in normal use, then that could result in some 'unintended' (and, I suppose, potentially 'harmful') operating conditions.

Kind Regards, John

Hi all,

Thanks for the replies. I just called NEFF and explained the problem. The lady on the phone said that its normal for the element to glow when heating up and gave as an example the grill. Apparently that's what its supposed to do until it reaches the temperature it has to. I mentioned that it didn't glow orange before replacing it and her thought was that it perhaps wasn't working well. Taking into consideration that this is a 10+ year old oven, i'm inclined to believe this.

Browsing around i found the following:

"Diagnosing The Lower Heating Element

To diagnose the lower heating element, set your oven to 350 degrees and wait ten minutes. After about ten minutes, your oven should be hot.

Open the oven door and inspect the lower heating element. It should be bright orange. If it is not orange, or if parts of it are not orange, you need to replace the lower heating element. After you finish testing the lower heating element, turn your oven off."

This all sounds reasonable to me although i don't trust my oven fully at this point...

Thanks again.

When heating the oven up, i can see the element turning red hot (through the back plate). Once it reaches the temperature its supposed to reach it stops glowing, which i take is a good sign.

I would expect a slight glow in a much darkened room. Red hot suggests it is designed for a lower voltage than the UK voltage, what did it specify when you bought it? It doesn't need to glow red hot in an oven, but it would were it a grill.

Stopping glowing as it reaches the thermostat setting is normal.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back