Oven/Hob set up

Dai

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
following on from previous questions and answers (thank you very much) the circuit has been changed to the following: from the fuse/mcb unit to the cooker control unit 10mm cable (approx) 8m, from the cooker control unit (45amp with no socket) to oven (4kw) in 6mm cable (approx) 1.5m, from the cooker control unit to hob (6.4kw) in 6mm cable (appox) 1.5m question is what size mcb assuming i do not want to apply diversity. Any help would be gratefully received.

Sponsored Links
At 230V this comes to a tad over 45A, so I'd go for a 45Amp mcb - you'll be very unlucky to get a trip for the extra 1/4 of an Amp.

The MCB will have to be rated to protect the smallest cable in the run, which is 6mm², in other words 45A if it's burried in plaster or clipped direct , or 32A if it's run in conduit, within or without the wall (38A is maximum capacity in this case, so you have to go to the next lowest size of breaker).

A 45A breaker will, of course, suffice for the 10mm² cable, too.

Your total current demand, without diversity, is a tad over 45A, assuming 230V mains, but that should present no problem.

So, assuming 6mm² cables are PVC T&E and are clipped direct or burried in plaster, the 45A circuit breaker will be fine (preferably a type-B MCB).

Hope this helps :)

Once again, didthathurt, you beat me to it, you lightning-fingered spark :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Gentlemen, the cables are chased into the walls with a plastic cover and plaster on top, in most places the plaster also touches the cabling, so a 45mcb O.K.

Dai said:
Gentlemen, the cables are chased into the walls with a plastic cover and plaster on top, in most places the plaster also touches the cabling, so a 45mcb O.K.
Should be fine. Did I get there first? :cool:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back