Another Oven Hob Question

Dai

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
O.K its another oven/hob question. I intend replacing my existing old cooker (protected at the Consummer Unit by a 32amcb) with a built in oven and hob. There is a control switch for the existing cooker on the wall approx 1m from the cooker connection point.
The new hob (6.4kw) and oven (4kw) are intended to be connected to existing circuit (havnt checked wiring size but its the usual size for a free standing cooker of the late 70s.)

Question is mcb big enough ?
If not can it be replaced By 45 amcb ?
Assuming it can will the wiring need upgrading to 10mm ?

Would like to know before i purchase items and get quotes etc. or stick with free standing cooker.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
This post
//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=61907
deals with the same point.

Your 10kW is about 44A.

Your load after diversity is applied is about 20A.

Dai said:
its the usual size for a free standing cooker of the late 70s.
Sadly, there's no such thing as it depends on who did the original installation.

crafty1289 said:
Most cookers in this country are wired from a 32A MCB and 6mm² cable, and rarely have problems. A 32A MCB will take more than this for a certain amount of time. Nothing will catch fire if you do overload it - the 6mm² cable and the accessories are protected by the MCB.
Nothing to add! Except check you know what you have.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back