OVEN/HOB (sorry I know it's been done many times)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am replacing a free standing cooker with a single oven and hob.
The oven rating is 2.4KW and the grill is 2.0KW. Can I supply this with the standard 13amp socket and the hob wire in to the existing cooker socket.
Neither will be two meters from the existing cooker socket, should I use this for both?

Thanks
syrup

Sponsored Links
If the oven comes with a 13A plug fitted, then no problem. Most single ovens do now.

I would hazard to guess that the oven is designed so you can't use the 2.4kW oven AND 2kW grill at the same time.

Is the hob you wish to fit electric or gas? Might seem like a silly question but gas hobs do of course have electric ignition.

If you have a gas hob then as I see it you have 2 easy ways to go about this:

1) replace the cooker control unit (behind the cooker) with 2 FCUs (fused connection units) fitted with appropriately rated fuses. This way you retain control with the cooker switch, but have the appliances correctly fused.

2) at the consumer unit, replace the cooker circuit fuse/MCB with a 15A fuse or 16A MCB. Then you should be safe to wire the oven directly into the cooker control unit (although I would think this wouldn't be suitable for a gas hob as the fuse rating should be much lower for this).

If you have an electric hob, then I will stand back and wait for the arguments on divergence to begin :LOL:

Adam,

It's an electric hob. Thanks for such a helpful reply.

Much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Electric hobs are typically 6-7-8kW.

What is yours, what is the size of cable in the existing cooker circuit, what is the rating of the MCB/fuse and if you search for topics containing any of the words cooker, hob, oven do you really not find the info you need?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back