Another Ceramic Hob question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I have trawled through many topics regarding the wiring of a new ceramic hob but I am still a little unclear of the correct procedure!

I am fitting an Indesit ceramic hob and single electric oven which is replacing my old Belling free standing electric oven and hob.

Am I correct in assuming that I can hard wire the hob into the existing cooker switch (the same point at which the old cooker was connectd to) and then just plug the oven into the 13 amp socket which is also on the cooker switch?

Sponsored Links
Could you clarify the current fuse size at the board for the existing cooker and then confirm the kw use of the new items.

A socket works on 13 amp max and thus the oven needs to have an output below 13 x 230v = approx 3000w / 3kw. You also need to consider that the kitchen ring circuit is a very high demand circuit- what have you got on it at the moment ?

Guess at:-

Microwave 1000w
kettle 1500w
Cold only washing machine
Tumble drier
Toaster
Dish washer

Do you think that when using the oven via the socket that you will frequently use the other items in circuit and get beyond the trip / rating of 32 amp for that circuit ?

Could you clarify the current fuse size at the board for the existing cooker and then confirm the kw use of the new items.

A socket works on 13 amp max and thus the oven needs to have an output below 13 x 230v = approx 3000w / 3kw. You also need to consider that the kitchen ring circuit is a very high demand circuit- what have you got on it at the moment ?

Microwave 1000w
kettle 1500w
Tumble drier
Toaster
Dish washer

Do you think that when using the oven via the socket that you will frequently use the other items in circuit and get beyond the trip / rating of 32 amp for that circuit ?

Hi thanks for the quick response,

You say kw? I have looked at the items and cant see anything in kw's! however it does say that the hob 6200w and the oven is 2400w! is this what you are refering too? I'm a bit thick when it comes to electrics!

also i'm not sure what you mean about the fuse size at the board for the existing cooker! all i know is it has its own seperate supply from the RCD box!

as for other usage, fridge freezer, kettle, washing machine and microwave

hope this helps!

EDIT: sorry i did'nt read your post properly, the oven is 2.4kw and the hob 6.2kw

Microwave 1000w
kettle 1500w
Tumble drier
Toaster
Dish washer

Yes, but the socket in questions is not on the kitchen ring, it's on the cooker circuit.

So total potential load on cooker circuit = 8.6kW = 37.39A

In practise, this will be fine on a 32A cooker circuit. (Cue the usual discussion about the application of diversity to cooker)

Not sure I'd want to have to unplug the oven if I wanted to use the socket for something else, though. A dedicated socket off the cooker circuit would be better IMO.

Sponsored Links

Yes, but the socket in questions is not on the kitchen ring, it's on the cooker circuit.

So total potential load on cooker circuit = 8.6kW = 37.39A

In practise, this will be fine on a 32A cooker circuit. (Cue the usual discussion about the application of diversity to cooker)

Not sure I'd want to have to unplug the oven if I wanted to use the socket for something else, though. A dedicated socket off the cooker circuit would be better IMO.

Yes it is on the cooker circuit.

the cooker switch will be for the hob and oven only as it will be going inside one of the base cupboards and i have plenty of sockets on the main ring circuit.

so will i be ok then with what i had originally intended?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back