Replacing gas hob with ceramic

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just removed our old built-in gas hob and purchased a nice new shiny eclectic ceramic one. After removing the hob and temporarily pulling out the electric oven directly below it, I expected to find a cooker connection unit. Instead there's just a double 13am plug gang/socket? This is connected directly to a nearby cooker dp switch. The manual for the ceramic hob states it should be connected directly the cooker mains. Can I replace the double socket with a cooker connection unit using the cable from the cooker switch?

Sponsored Links
It depends on the size of cabling and the rating of the MCB and/or RCD. At your consumer unit do you have the circuit labelled (it should be) something like cooker for example if so what rating MCB is it?
The likelihood is someone has run the correct size cabling and MCB originally down to the dp switch, the gas hob was installed and it was converted to a standard double socket. would get someone to check it out if in any doubt.

Hi crispieees, stillp, yeah the house has a Wylex consumer unit which has separate 32a MCB's, a couple for the sockets, one for a shower and another for the cooker circuit. There's also a handful of 16a breakers for the lights, smoke alarms, etc. I think you are correct, it looks like 6mm cabling from the consumer unit to the cooker switch, then 6mm from the switch to the standard double socket. So as you say I guess I can just swap the double socket for a cooker connection unit and wire the hob into this. Would it be too much load to also wire a standard socket off this so I can run the electric oven from the same circuit/cooker switch?

The new hob states it should be connected directly to a dedicated 32a circuit with fused switch. The minimum cable required is H05VV - F4mm.

Thanks in advance ;)

Sponsored Links
Would it be too much load to also wire a standard socket off this so I can run the electric oven from the same circuit/cooker switch
This would depend on the load rating of the oven and the combined load of the two appliances. Diversity could be factored in to the equation, so it is very possible that you could.

the hob is 6.6kw and the single built-in oven is 2.3kw. am I ok to run both off one circuit on a 32a mcb over 6mm cable?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back