Ceramic Hobs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Anybody know much about installing ceramic hobs? We've recently got rid of our gas one and bought a 6Kw ceramic hob - easier to clean and all that. Now discovering it is a bit of a nightmare on the wiring front. There is an existing 30amp cooker socket running a double oven. Can we run the ceramic hob off this or are we looking at a completely new setup running back to the mains?

Is 6Kw normal for a ceramic hob, or have we got ourselves a particularly hungry hob?

Sponsored Links
6KW is 26A @ 230V (25 @ 240). so it should be OK running at full load. BUT you shouldnt share the supply with the double oven. its possible (but unlikely) that the double oven will be under 3KW and can be simply plugged into the ring main. otherwise it looks like itll need another ciruit (might be better to renew the oven circuit usin 20A MCB and 2.5, but youll need to know power ratings etc before you go any further)

It's not considered good practice to put a double oven (4.7kwish) and a ceramic hob (about6.1kw) on the same circuit. I don't understand why as I regularly fit range type cookers of 14kw into a single 32a supply. At first i had doubts about it but no-one has ever complained about the breaker going and spoiling xmas dinner! If you read the diversity section in the osg you're well inside.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back